Can they moult before coming into lay?

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
paxo
Lively Laner

Can they moult before coming into lay?

Post by paxo »

As some the the forum users know i had to help my uncle out when he was ill and i took three pullets who were definately pre laying. one (not sure who) has started to lay or that is to say one egg last week although its hilariously tiny but perfectly formed. I have two standard hybrid chucks who were here first but theyve all settled now and seem to have established their pecking order. The new girls are two silver sussex and a silkie cross yokohama which when i get time i will put a picture of on as shes funny to look at she has a quiff lol! So we aptly named her priscilla (presley) anyway I digress. One of the sussex (which i think is slightly younger than the other due to colourings and a smaller comb) has no longer tail feathers and theres a few feathers about the house and aviary. She doesnt seem nervy with the others and i cant see any blood and the feather ends don't look like they've been pulled out. I think shes about 18 weeks ish maybe slightly less. Could she be moulting before starting to lay or should i be looking for something more serious? (f+

Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

they normally molt at about a year(ish)
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
paxo
Lively Laner

Post by paxo »

oh they're defo not that old and none of the others have lost any also i dont think shes at the bottom of the pecking order.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

some birds will line their nest with feathers!!
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well I bouhgt some point of lay in September one year, and they did what the the books said, came into lay, laid through the winter and didn't moult.
The next autumn I went back for a few more, the person I got them from had retired and relatives had taken over. Don't know if that made a difference, but that batch of hens started laying then started moulting and laid very sporadically though the winter.

Hens don't read the books.