17 chooks from todays rescue.

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

These lucky girlies have gone to Kettering community project, they have one beautiful house & area to be free at last in )t'
They were in a battery cage this morning.....now look at them (f+
I'm going to sponsor a couple of hens for them, this is how they make some pennies, they grow veggies to sell & the spare eggs too, it is a reallly brilliant cause & hopefully if Dave gets my e-mail & I'm not too late, Barclays bank have offered to sponsor them some Aylesbury ducks, so hopefully they can have some ducks too )t' so 20 ducks please Dave
This is how the community project works, they generate in income through sponsorship of their pets & they then grow veggies to sell...brilliant :-D
Cheers
mel x

lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Mel thats excellent, what a brilliant project! )c(

Lovely, lucky girls they are )t'

Lou xx
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Mel

Lucky girls and what a really good project.

One thing that springs to mind is that those girls look remarkably well feathered as did my ones from last July. I think that maybe conditions are improving - don't get me wrong as I hate the thought of any caged animal.

Well done you, yet again.
Anna
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

They were good today Anna, then the next rescue catches you out & they are dreadful, you sort of wait with baited breath really, to see what turns up. Briiliant job agai done by Robert Linda & Lisa I take my hat off to them, I really do (f+
This is a community project for the local residents, it's called the "green patch project", if you google that if your interested, you get a really good pdf file on what they do, I think it's brilliant & so do the hens. We chatted to the project manager & I left on a real natural high today, you know that feel good factor you get, well we had it by the bucket load, I think the thinking behind this site has an awful lot in common with the reasoning behind this, it's really good educational tool.
& all this is because some FREE AT LAST ex batts were homed to one person who happened to mention it to another & his whole snow ball effect happens )t'
Cheers
mel x
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I like the straw + roof shelter.
henrescue
Lively Laner

Post by henrescue »

hi,

so glad these girls have gone to such a great home,

Mel- sorry i didnt get a chance to speak to you today, it was manic wasnt it!!

Lots more girls happy in their new homes.
"free at last" poultry rescue

www.freewebs.com/henrescue
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

What a brilliant idea!!! Is it the only one, or are there other projects like it??
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Super project, similar to HFW's TV prog.

I suggested a similar thing to Allotments. Like one plot for Chicken Runs, then the Allotment plot holders could look after someone elses if that person had a holiday or was sick etc.

But, brilliant concept - slowly but surely, the communial green thinking is creeping in.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

What a good way to teach people what kind of life a hen should enjoy, so that they can see that the cruelty of battery farming matters.
Maybe they could display some of Richard's 'before' posters, along-side the living 'after' display.
Same goes for ducks, I've heard that the ducks sold for roasting in supermarkets suffer as badly as broiler hens, or worse as they have no water to splash in and enjoy natural behaviour.
Last edited by Mo on 21 Apr 2008, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Excellent news - and a heart warming project!
Small steps lead to big changes
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

I was impressed I must admit, i think they have a couple of these around the country, but I can't be totally sure on that one.
17 chooks is a lot of lives saved in my book, so i said I'd sponsor a hen or two for them, it's such a good cause.
They have 2 acres which the council let them have for nothing, so it is all polly tunnels & rows & rows of veggies all planted up & already they may have a home for some new chooks...it's a small world.
Cheers
mel x
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I take my hat off to you, Melons. You are doing an absolutely brilliant job looking after the welfare of these birds. Fantastic, you are a proper Mother Hen )t'
Ilona
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

Oh Well done Mels. My hat goes off to ALL of you! )t'
Chucky Egg
wendy

Post by wendy »

How brilliant. Maybe we can try to persuade other grouops to do the same.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning