Worrying Advert

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
3frenchhens
Lively Laner

Worrying Advert

Post by 3frenchhens »

Hi there, not been on here for a long, long while. My lovely ex-batts are all doing wonderfully well and still going strong. Anyway I saw this advert on Preloved and found it rather worrying. I might be jumping to conclusions but I wouldn't have thought it was right to sell on ex-batts if that's what this person is doing. Just wanted to bring it to all your attention just in case. Thanks.

Code: Select all

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106884316/ex-battery-chickens-good-layers-3-each.html

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Worrying Advert

Post by Annie »

I think you are right that if ex batts are being sold on its not to the code of practice that the rehoming agencies release the birds for. Though not sure what steps could be taken as I don't suppose it contravenes any law or trading standards regulations.
Good to hear from you again and to hear your girls are well and happy too.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
big al
Lively Laner

Post by big al »

HI

I have also seen this on preloved didnt think this would be aloud as they are rescue hens that deserve a forever home.

Alan
[center]BIG ALS ASYLUM FOR HENS AND FREINDS
(MY HOBBY IS MY LIFE)[/center]
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Not all rescue hens are taken by rescue organisations,some farmers sell direct to the public and anyone who has space to keep them while waiting to sell them on can buy them, there are a couple of people on FB who buy ex batts direct from the farm and then sell them on, also if you do take in some exbatts and then decide you can't keep them for whatever reason having bought them in the first place you are well within your rights to sell them to recoup some of the money laid out in the first place, I don't see it as a problem so long as the birds are cared for properly and are out of those farms it all ends up the same way, the only difference I can see is that if you buy them from an individual they are usually cheaper, I paid £5 each for my girls but have seen them going for £3 each,so long as their welfare is good I can't see the problem :-D
Mean't also to say that so long as the seller is clear about the birds being exbatts and explains that they might not lay as well as other birds then I don't think any rules have been broken, this advert seems to be pushing the fact that they are good layers when in fact that is a bit misleading because they could stop at any time,I think if people do their research they can make a wise decision on whether to take a chance on these birds, the advert really should say laying not guaranteed