Vicar living the simple life

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Jane in London
Lively Laner

Re: Vicar living the simple life

Post by Jane in London »

I did quite enjoy the last episode, actually. But I don't think he came up with any new or surprising conclusions. I suspect that, because this was just a three-part TV series, they had to make it all very two-dimensional and choppy to fit into the format.

I agree it was a bit weird that having to pay his car insurance (however did he think he was going to do that?) and getting very upset about having to ask for his wallet back, he then went out and splurged in the music shop. Still, only human!

Was it just me, or did anyone else find it a bit uncomfortable watching that nice young man (who had to replace the wheelbarrow the vicar had broken) admit that, though he would have preferred to accept the lamb as payment in kind, he actually needed the money? It seemed a bit intrusive to me, and I wonder how he really felt about having to say that on the telly?

It struck me that the message they came up with was very much what the American book Your money or your life said years ago.

Jane
TEZ PAZ
Longlasting Laner

Post by TEZ PAZ »

Yes Jane i found it very uncomfortable. I found the whole programme bizzar. I dont understand why he found it so difficult to belive that people were frightened when he was knocking on their doors at night asking if he could stay in their house or shed! If he came knocking at my door i'd send him packing too.He looked like an unkempt tramp. I have the safety of my family to think about too. Todays society is totally different to when St.Francis was alive! A shame maybe but true. Didnt think people picked up hitch hikers anymore either.
3 kids, one rescue cat, 3 rescue hens and one fantastic husband
bookbinder
Lively Laner

Post by bookbinder »

Havn't watched it yet, hope to see it this week. A couple of thoughts:

My husband is a vicar...we live in a vicarage but h e is not paid and has a "day job"...We have found that if we go anywhere and he wears his dog collar there are two reactions... Firstly people are more polite and go out of their way to be helpful and secondly strangers will out of the blue pour out their hearts regarding personal problems....

I am a lay minister so don't wear a "collar" and neither reaction applies!!! )w(

It sounds quite an unreal "experiment" as others have pointed out the reaction of people when they are being filmed is probably not at all the same as just routine day in the street.

Looking forward to watching it now.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

There was a programme on television a couple of years ago, a young man travelled the country and was given £5 a day to live on (including travel!) by the camera crew.

It was called something like "Day in Life of a Nobody", thing is this guy (he was called Leon) had a camera crew with him, so how uncharitable would a person being filmed have to be to say, no you cannot have any food from our restaurant, no I won't give you a lift in my car or something of that ilk. He did come across some very trusting people, but do wonder if that would have been different if he didn't have a camera crew following him.

Whoa, got the title totally wrong, found this link:

http://www.leonlogothetis.com/biography.asp
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/