The X Factor

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Re: The X Factor

Post by Orfy »

They've called Sophie back for extra filming and will be featured on Xtra Factor on Sunday. (ITV2) I believe.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I do watch the X Factor and enjoy it for what it is, entertainment. Yes it is scripted as is obvious when a contestant is shown in his home surroundings, even before his autdition.
As for the ridicule. I dislike that side of the show, but then the people who can't sing think they can and know they will be singing in public. Why on earth doesn't someone tell them, out of kindness, that they are rubbish!
I think it is great that some are given the chance to show their talent, which they wouldn't have a chance of doing if not for this type of show.
I must let you know, that my OH goes into another room when it is on. Just to make a point that people who watch these shows should have something better to do. .ang. He watches something else!!!
I'm a celebrity, get me out of here and Big brother are definately no no's in this house. I think he would leave home.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

X factor is nothing to do with talent spotting and all to do with TV.

We have a friend who auditioned for Xfactor or was it the other one ?? think it was X. they picked her out and told her she could be on the TV show but she had to sign a contract giving up any rights to any songs she had already written and anything she did on the show. She declined )t'
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Of course X factor is all about TV!!!!!! It is" marmite" tv but i can't get worked up about it either way because it is so artifical.People who go for it have to be advised of the pitfalls and down sides,whether they understand them is another matter >dum< +confused+ If people invite public ridicule then on their heads be it )j;
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Some brilliant, talented 16-yr-olds yesterday, and I always love the "tearjerker story" at the end of the show. It's so much less nasty this year without SC, I am really enjoying it despite the handful of arogant ones.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

saint-spoon wrote: Obviously the well-choreographed fallings out and scripted arguments both on the telly and in the blanket coverage of the media have got to you... Does it really benefit the ability of an act if the general public is informed that his grandmother has recently passed away and that he is very upset? Not really but what it does do is grabs the sympathy of the viewing public and gets more text votes
rhubarb93 wrote:Some brilliant, talented 16-yr-olds yesterday, and I always love the "tearjerker story" at the end of the show. It's so much less nasty this year without SC, I am really enjoying it despite the handful of arogant ones.

Are people in this world really so daft that they haven’t clicked onto the fact that the bitchiness and fallings out are all a very well scripted part of the whole flim-flam that is the phone vote talent show? The soft music tear jerk moments are just another tool used to get the public to pay the manufacturers more money for the privilege of voting for their favourites.
Happily the only interaction I have with this circus is through this thread; I have blissfully managed to avoid it and most of the blanket advertising. As a bonus there have been quite a few decent quality programmes on other channels to view.
Bah Humbug
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I've never really got into it that much, but finding myself watching more this year....

I loved the girl from Fife last night, she sand an Adele song - I even shed a tear it was so lovely {cry}

Tend to ignore all the media circus stuff, can't be bothered with all that.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

The whole thing makes a mockery out of our music industry. The Christmas number one is already decided, I don’t think that there is a bookmaker in the land that will allow you to place a bet on it. Pre-orders for the product (before anyone knows what the title of the song will be or by whom it will be sung) will guarantee it’s No.1 status. It be pretty moronic to pre-order a pair of trousers before you knew what size they were or who had made them but it is apparently perfectly ok if it is to do with the phone vote circus. I suppose at least you don’t have to worry about the style, it’ll be exactly the same as last year’s Christmas number one, puerile plastic pop with no heart or soul but plenty of blanket media hype.

)reap( RIP the Brittish music industry {cry}
Bah Humbug
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I know what you mean Spoon - I normally hate things like this with a passion and given half a chance I'd line the lot up and shoot them! )de: yike*

Can't stand the whinging monotony of it and I literally have to switch off the radio if that Leona Lewis woman comes on, especially how she totally ruined Snow Patrol's "Light Up" }hairout{ Also those goddam awful boy bands wailing away with hands to chest thinking they're the next big thing! Urrgh!

Maybe I'm mellowing as I get older though as I did enjoy it last night, for what it is - entertainment...?

Still think there's some great talent within the proper UK music industry though aside from all this manufactured tat.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

fortunately there are still the likes of Adele (21 is a top album) doing very well, it sort of shows that not all of us have succumbed to the moronic dross churned out by Idle-pop machine; unfortunately their skill in song writing will be hijacked by the manufactured bands and wrecked by the samey auto-tuned voice of one of the runners up from the phone vote dross. All the time screamy crowds will shed a tear when they turn on the sad music and reveal that one of the mediocre contestants (and most are mediocre at best) has recently lost his pet rabbit.
That Leona lewis was singing on the box last night, without the aid of autotune she sounded very flat; she has however sold a lot more record than me which just goes to prove that if you brainwash the masses you can sell them any old rubbish as long as it belongs to your brand.
Bah Humbug
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh I love Adele - did you see her on Wossy last night, absolutely fabulous - no miming, just pure talent. She certainly doesn't need fancy effects or jigging dance routines :-D
Bev x

rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

saint-spoon wrote:
saint-spoon wrote: Are people in this world really so daft that they haven’t clicked onto the fact that the bitchiness and fallings out are all a very well scripted part of the whole flim-flam that is the phone vote talent show? The soft music tear jerk moments are just another tool used to get the public to pay the manufacturers more money for the privilege of voting for their favourites.

Actually, SS, I don't think of myself as daft or moronic - I just enjoy the feelgood moments, of which there are very few in the media these days, and never waste any of my money voting for anyone.
Each to there own, fine if you don't enjoy it but why impose your views on those who get some harmless pleasure from it?
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

rhubarb93 wrote:Each to there own, fine if you don't enjoy it but why impose your views on those who get some harmless pleasure from it?

Sorry if I have upset you Rhubarb, they are just my views on the subject, I am not imposing my will on anyone or forcing anyone to accept my views. Feel free to disagree with me if your idea of entertainment differs from mine, I would rather watch a decent documentary or quality drama. Unfortunately these types of quality programming are under threat because phone voting generates vast amounts of revenue; profit over quality.
I would suggest that it is a lot easier to ignore a single thread on a forum than it is to ignore the constant media bombardment from this programme and others like it. It has taken over the papers, the radio, and even the evening news will soon be blighted with gossip about well scripted arguments between the judges. The Christmas number one will be the product of the show, and people will buy that product before they know what the song is or who is singing it; to me that is a pretty vacuous thing to do. Imagine if someone asked you to buy a pair of shoes that you did not know the size or colour, you’d think that they were mad.
Once this circus is over in time for the song to be the Christmas number one we will have a couple of weeks respite until the next phone vote show starts. The bombardment is relentless.
Bah Humbug
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Off button.
Or even better chuck the Tele out.

I'm only aware of it because a friend got through to boot camp.
I don't buy news papers and only listen to the news on Radio 4 so it doesn't bug me.
Lots of people do like it though.

I think it's like Karaoke in pubs.

I don't like it so I don't go to those pubs. Simple.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Thank goodness there is an off button and alternative means of "entertainment" )t' I find programs that involve people fascinating,however manipulated,or manipulative.People will always agree or disagree on "popular"programs :?Does it matter if people buy into the hype? it gives many an escape from normal life and allows them to dream.They not be very "highbrow"but no one Makes them believe the garbage or part with their money for votes nor does it make them vacuous ,just different :-D
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!