Call the Midwife

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Kernow

Re: Call the Midwife

Post by Kernow »

I was a fireman in the 60s (yes I'm old) I have seen really like places like that programme depicted - and worse!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Maggie & June have you read tuppence to Tooley St? It's another one set in the area.

I have a huge interest in social history, and at uni I read studies about the east end during this time with relation to the movement of people to the 'new towns'. They were interviewed and checked for their 'suitability' to become part of the new communities, which were seen as being a ideal model for future living. I know that many failed to be offered a new home due to the state they lived in. I am sure that your home was spotless June, as were many. Sadly, there were also many that weren't.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Another fantastic book Helen
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I watched call the midwife oncatch up (lap top poorly for a few days) and loved it. Anybody read any of Jennifer worths books, they are very very good. I trained as a nurse in early 70`s and it was still strict then and we were still answerable to Matron. Nhs has changed so much, not always for the better but thats another topic. Can`t wait for Sunday to see next episode.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Another superb episode tonight. Miranda played her part fantastic. Saw the trailer for next week and it looks like a bit from Shadows of the workhouse. Can't wait till next Sunday.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I enjoyed it too but I noticed that they didn't mention that the young girl who had the baby went on to become headline news when she stole one some years later. :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

They might next week, I'm so enjoying it, and i loved 'Chummy' )t'
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Me too, )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Good telly last night. Midwives and then 127 hours on c4, absolutely harrowing )scare( did anyone watch it?
LYN
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I did enjoy call the midwife last night, miranda soooooooo good in the part of chummy, looking forward to next weeks episode.
saw most of 127 hours but to be honest found it a bit boring, and ended up sorting out washing.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

We watched Bird song, which was enjoyable/ challenging )t'
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I taped Birdsong as its in 2 parts
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I am going to watch birdsong on catch up on laptop, probably in early hours as my sleep pattern has gone completely haywire and spend most of night up and waste morning by sleeping, it`s a bit like being on night duty.
anybody watch wild at heart, have watched last 2 seasons but just can`t get into this one.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Yes I can't get into it as much as the others. Its got very personalised and your lucky if you see 1 animal poorly or on the operating table. Plus whats happened to his pregnant wife.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Thought "Call the Midwife" was great last night - wasn't sure I'd be able to take Miranda seriously in a drama but thought she was terrific. In fact I downloaded the book off Amazon last night and started to read it too!
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."