Tear jerkers?

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Tear jerkers?

Post by MissEllie »

I love a good cry, just finished watching my favourite tear jerker Steel Magnolias for the umpteenth time. What's your favourite weepy? {cry}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Mad Chick

Re: Tear jerkers?

Post by Mad Chick »

Truly Madly Deeply always used to make me howl but haven't watched it for years... also Terms of Endearment. The most recent film to have me in pieces was War Horse - I cried from start to finish {cry}

TBH I tend to cry at most things - I've even been known to cry at Blockbuster when the wrong person won :oops:
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Aw that's sweet Lucy {hug} I love Terms of Endearment too.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

It's not really a tear-jerker but I cant watch the bit in the Railway Children when Jenny Agutter shouts "Daddy my daddy" when he gets off the train and walks through the steam without crying.

And even more tragically I cant listen to "Two little boys" by Rolf Harris without blubbing :?

Last time I watched "Dumbo" I bawled my eyes out when he was taken from his mother. And I'm scarred for life from watching Bambi when I was four :-D
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

julie62 wrote:It's not really a tear-jerker but I cant watch the bit in the Railway Children when Jenny Agutter shouts "Daddy my daddy" when he gets off the train and walks through the steam without crying.

And even more tragically I cant listen to "Two little boys" by Rolf Harris without blubbing :?

Last time I watched "Dumbo" I bawled my eyes out when he was taken from his mother. And I'm scarred for life from watching Bambi when I was four :-D

All of those for me too and too many to mention.

The bit when Meg Ryan says "I so wanted it to be you" at the end of You've Got Mail has me in pieces every time.

And I cried when Mr Bean made to to Cannes in the film.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I love that bit in the railway children too! You can't beat a good tear jerker :-D
Woody Allen
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

It takes a lot to make me cry, but the bit you have mentioned in the Railway Children, and Bambi make me swallow. I saw Bambi just after the war, and was given a small piece of chocolate to eat during the showing. It was stolen, and the loss of that and the film made a huge impact. Chocolate was on ration, and prized highly!!

Having lost both my parents and my husband, watching bereavement in films and plays doesn't always ring true.
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

A film that really choked me up was called " After The Promise" starring Mark Harmon and it told the story of a man who's wife dies and how he struggles to bring up his 3 sons and earn a living at the same time. It told how the powers at be really can put a man through hell as he struggles to come to terms with the death of his young wife, tries to console and look after his three sons whilst trying to hold down a good job as a carpenter. His three sons are taken into care against the fathers wishes and treated really badly at one stage not being allowed to see their father. The father promises his sons that they will be reunited and it's all about he goes about fulfilling that promise.
The thing that makes this a real tear jerker is that it is based on a true story

Try to see this one {cry} {cry}

Eck
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Anything with animals in it, especially Lassie {cry} {cry} {cry}
Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have a video copy of After the Promise, Eck - at least I hope I still have it. It has been watched several times, and is an amazing film. What happened to that poor family is unbelievable nowadays.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I'm not usually one for blubbing in films these days, but things with animals in would always get me going (and still do).
We almost had to leave the cinema in Bambi as I bawled so much, I was little in my defence :)

Run Wild Run Free is one I remember being extremely teary. The bit when the pony goes in the bog.
Lassie come home.
8 Below

A film that took me by surprise was Empire of the Sun. Was watching away with hubby when all of a sudden tears were streaming down my face! Think it was near the end.
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

Dont like to admit it but two films only have ever made me "weepy",years ago it was How Green is my Valley,and pretty up to date one is Ghost,without going into detail the music from Ghost still brings a lump to my throat even now. {cry}
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Another one that scarred me for life when I was little (always animal films!) was "Ring of Bright Water" such a lovely happy film with Bill Travers, Virginia McKenna and Mij the Otter .... until the final reel when poor old mij is happily running along a culvert by a path ... and a workmen whacks him on the head and kills him. I was about five for goodness sake - it shouldn't be allowed - whenever I've watched it since I always turn it off before the end {cry}
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Could`nt watch War Horse alway through in fact blubbing few minutes after it started.
Belstone Fox, story of hound and fox funny in places and also sad. By the way Hedgehugger, belstone fox and run wild run free both from books by David Rook and the bog in Run wild run Free was a man made one with a bottom, more than one pony used.
If I think I am going to cry I try to watch film by myself, will not cry in front of hubby over film.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I remember the Belstone Fox too. Always was and still am, Animal mad :)

Shall have to seek the books out. Thank You.