anyone for tennis

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

anyone for tennis

Post by mrs boodles »

Start of Wimbledon, another sign of year slipping past very quickly. I haven't watched it for quite some years, used to love seeing all the characters playing and the variety of play. Nowadays there doesn't see to be any characters and the play just seems to be whacking the ball from one end of court to other end as fast as they can, and I couldn't cope with listening to the women screaming and grunting every time the hit a ball. Is it necessary. Its all very mechanical nowadays.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: anyone for tennis

Post by albertajune »

All that I watch is the actual finals, that is if nothing else to do.
I must agree about the players today and the grunting annoys me intensely. It also seems to be as much about glamming up as playing. Maybe it's a sign of me getting old but the excitement seems to have gone from the game.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Can't stand it or any sport for that matter. It just means the telly will be even more rubbish than it is at the moment.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I still love watching Wimbledon - I caught the bug off of my mum when I was only about 6 or 7 and have watched it avidly every year since.

You are right in that there don't seem to be as many characters nowadays and the women's grunting is really annoying (I rarely watch women's tennis any more) but I'm still glued to it every afternoon and evening for two weeks )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Although I used to love watching Wimbledon I'm really hoping to avoid it as I feel guilty being stuck in front of the telly for two weeks ..but will probably get hooked if Andy's doing well. )t' I'm also put off watching the women's matches because of the grunting ..I really don't understand why they do it. >shrug<
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I enjoy watching Wimbledon if I follow it from early on as it is a bit like a mini soap! If I miss the first week, then I tend not to have a clue who is who, and have less interest, although always love to watch the men's final (sorry lady players :oops: )
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Maggie1 wrote:Can't stand it or any sport for that matter. It just means the telly will be even more rubbish than it is at the moment.

come now Maggie, it is only once a year and there is always the oh en/oh eff eff button.

I won't watch Wimbledon, because I am not really into tennis but I tend to see many of the major sporting events as a relief from the relentless onslaught of the phone vote talent/celeb shows which sneak in between the ever increasing numbers of soap episodes being squeezed into a week's prime time.
Bah Humbug
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I won't watch Wimbledon, because I am not really into tennis but I tend to see many of the major sporting events as a relief from the relentless onslaught of the phone vote talent/celeb shows which sneak in between the ever increasing numbers of soap episodes being squeezed into a week's prime time.

As you say SS there's an on/off switch

I just feel sorry for people that are housebound and have only got the telly for company. I always remember an elderly Aunt who also hated sport. She loathed weekends as 9 times out of 10 sport was on all 4 channels in the afternoon. She hadn't got Sky or freeview. My MIL (91) has the same problem. She doesn't mind a bit of sport but not having it rammed down her throat. Take last Saturday afternoon as she didn't want to watch a film, she had the choice of BBC1 Athletics BBC2 Tennis Channel 4 Ascot

As you say there is an on/off switch AND I USE IT but there's an awful lot of people that can't
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting, I don't watch Wimbledon, find all those screaming girls going silly over their favourite a bit too much but everyone to their own.

Much of it is that the BBC don't have much left, Sky have the dosh to get most of it!

I do agree it can take over though, a game can over run so they switch it to another channel thus cancelling something some of us want to watch.

I probably watch no more than 12 hours TV a week anyway, no time really.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Could be worse!, it could be cricket!! ~eep~ ~eep~ ........... )run( )run(
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

You're a brave man SB yike* {rofwl}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Ah, when a yoof, I played Tennis, Cricket, Football (Goalkeeper), Hockey (Goalkeeper), ran the 400 meters (then 440yds) , Cross Country and High Jumped.

So you've got to have the odd one which is a tad slower !!

Richard

PS. I then moved on to more healthy stuff like Darts and Snooker :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I love Wimbledon - it is a bit like a mini soap with the ups and downs - always seems deeply psychological - the difference between being a winner or loser.

Did anyone see the Andy Murray doc that was on last night - he came across as being a lovely chap - hope this is his year!
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

I'm not interested in sport generally but I quite enjoy a bit of Wimbledon. Perhaps it seems tame this year as it's not the Olympics.

Enjoyed seeing Tara Moore play yesterday, although she got resoundingly beaten. I'd love a wildcard brit to kick some seeded butt out of the contest!