Road Kill, ever tried it?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Re: Road Kill, ever tried it?

Post by teddymouse »

if you came across anew killed deer,if you can hang it up by the hind legs ,(and to make the meat not so gamey),you bleed it and let hang for a couple of days.before jointing.
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
TURFEY21
Lively Laner

Post by TURFEY21 »

Babycakes wrote:I have been tempted, I'm seeing phesants every day now on my way to and from work. If I hot one myself, I think I would pick it up because I'd be sure it's fresh.
A friend of my dads did it once. He clipped the pheasant's head with his bumper, so decided to take it home for sunday dinner as it was a "clean" kill. He opened his boot half an hour later in inner city Belfast to find one extremely hacked off male pheasant that had only been stunned :shock:

lol be careful - it is an offence to pick up an animal that you have hit, however the car behind you can pick it uo as they did not hit it.
When we lived in Norfolk I came across a pheasant and I thought if that is still there on the way back from the horses I am going to pick it up. I felt really pikey stopping and picking it up, it was still warm and it was bloody lovely when we ate it!!
teajeni
Lively Laner

Post by teajeni »

A local farm worker used to shoot rabbits and often as not bring them to me for the pot. Sorry, but no more rabbits for me now as there has been so much myxamatosis round here Sept/Oct. Apparently its an ongoing thing and the best thing for the buns is the shotgun. I might be wrong, but it seems even the foxes didn't want them (or they'd had their fill of rabbits and couldn't eat any more).
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Many years ago, I was driving my Dad's Triumph Herald (yes it was that long ago!) when a mature buck jumped out of the woods right in front of me. We collided, and it ended up with a dent in the bonnet of the car, and the buck lying half in the road. And it was getting dark.
As it was long before the days of cell phones, I drove further on to a phone box. (Yes, it was working. They didn't get vandalised much in those days) and called the police. I then drove back to the place where I'd left the deer, and it had gone! I guess it had recovered from unconciousness and put out off pdq. I waited for the police because they had my name and address, and when the plod turned up he decided I was not lying so we all went home. Maybe I should have finished him off and put him in the boot!
It took a lot of persuasion to convince my Dad I was telling the truth though!
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Finish off Mr Plod??? and put him in the boot ?
I think that must be an offence.

Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

wendy wrote:Finish off Mr Plod??? and put him in the boot ?
I think that must be an offence.

Wendy

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

If it happened nowadays the police would only attend if they thought you had been speeding :?
wendy

Post by wendy »

Too bloomin' true Kate )grin2(
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
teajeni
Lively Laner

Post by teajeni »

was chatting to our local vet today telling him about deer we hit before christmas (£1500 worth of damage {mr.angry} ) which "miraculously" wasnt there on our return journey. he replied that he came across a downed but not dead deer near to his country practice last year, and being a vet did the honourable thing and put it out of its misery. off he went to get a sack to put it in for disposal, but got delayed a little at the surgery. on his return - no deer! a bit worried re the dr-ugs he'd administered 1/2 hour earlier, he phoned pharmaceutical company for any ill effects a human might encounter on eating bambi. thankfully for any consumers, no harm unless a LOT of meat eaten OR more particularly the heart eaten.

don't suppose many people would think roadkill had been put down by a vet!!