PLEASE HELP !

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
liskeardjane
Lively Laner

Re: PLEASE HELP !

Post by liskeardjane »

hi smallholderwanabee - I gently stew cooking apples - leaving the chunks as large as possible - add some lemon juice and store in old large jam jars - with a wax disk - i stew fruit and store it this way too - keep it in the dark to stop it dis-colouring
Trying to live a simpler life.
http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Last year I discovered I didn't have enough freezer space and decided to buy a dehydrator, see this post viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5171&hilit=dehydrator

It wasn't that expensive and has been absolutely brilliant for drying pear and apple slices. When I'm cooking anything where a few slices of apple would be lovely, it is so easy to just pop a few slices in or grab the kitchen scissors to chop up. I've also dried all my chillies this way. I love my dehydrator and would highly recommend one. I have to confess I haven't used the vacuum sealer as much as I should and found it easier to store some of my stuff in jars which look prettier too.

I've also done a lot more jam making and pickling/making relishes this year too. The biggest problem is a lack of suitable jars and have had to ask friends and work colleagues to pass their empty ones on to me which then presents another problem of storing them - being frugal does mean having to collect and storing stuff so if you don't like clutter, it can be a bit of a headache! The other thing about being frugal is that it does occupy a lot of your time - well worth it in the end but be prepared ((w

Alas it didn't solve my lack of freezer space as I had hoped and I eventually relented and bought a medium sized chest freezer which stores the bulk of my fruit and vegetables. I prepare the veg (eg slice and parboil etc), flash freeze (spread out on a tray to freeze) bag up, and then put all the bags into large plastic containers so that it is easier to find and also keeps it organised. When I want something, I take a bag out and move that into the other freezer - it's like having my own supermarket freezer on hand :-D
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

We've collected a lot of take-away containers over the years, the plastic ones. They are very useful for freezing stuff in. I certainly wouldn't buy any; the take -away was dear enough!
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

roddelmae wrote:We've collected a lot of take-away containers over the years, the plastic ones. They are very useful for freezing stuff in. I certainly wouldn't buy any; the take -away was dear enough!

if you have a poundland near you,they sell them,10 to a pack for a £1,i use them to make up meals in for freezing,and they get cooked in them in the microwave, and served up in them,so no washing up more pots. )c+
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????