Frugal meals

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Frugal meals

Post by Benny&Co »

I like to make a nice salad out of a tin of tuna and a tin of mixed beans, just mix together with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice, bit of S&P and some fresh herbs and some tomato/cucumber/onion if you've got it too.

Usually can't finish the whole lot, so put in a box in the fridge till the next day - then I'll add more tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, onion whatever I've got in
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Last nights meal of Sausage, mash and roasted veggies was around 70p a portion. )t'
All shop bought.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Scorpiod
Learner Laner

Post by Scorpiod »

Any left overs here either get eaten the next day, or frozen, no matter how little there is left.

Frozen veg here too.

When I make Yorkshire puds I make an extra 4 and then freeze them.

A quick and cheap meal that the kids love is pasta, left over chicken, any veggies that have a small amount left in the bag, and some passata, mix it all up and viola, and cheap and quick meal.
Owned By 2 Toddlers, 2 Dogs, 2 Snakes, 2 Rabbits (one foster), 1 Kitten, 5 Chicks.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

When i do a joint I find there is resistance to having the same meat every day of the next week - cold with chips, stew, pie, mince in a shepherds pie, casserole, curried etc. "But we had lamb/pork/whatever yesterday"
So when i get towards the end of the week I freeze some and bring it out when I need a change. Should really freeze it the day after I've cooked it I suppose.

Quite frugal really compared to the original roast - we tend to eat lots of meat as roast, less i the made-up dishes.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Hellebore
Lively Laner

Post by Hellebore »

I am not a vegetarian but lately have made some absolutely delicious veggie meals that cost very little to make. The moroccan vegetable tagine type recipes with herbs and spices are especially tasty. As well as having to shop more wisely I have recently had a heart attack and been advised to cut down on red meat, it must be 3 weeks since I last ate any and can honestly say I haven't missed it. :-D
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

Side dish to last a couple a week:

Clean, chop and boil a cauliflower and a broccoli. Drain well and mix with one tin of cream of mushroom soup and up to 2C of shredded cheese of any kind, in shallow casserole or in several rondelles. Cook at 350F until the top and edges are bubbly crispy.

or

For zucchini (courgette?) overload:

Stir-fry diced onions, zucchini and fresh tomatoes in a pan with oil, then place in shallow casserole or loaf pans and top with a mixture of shredded cheese. Once baked at 350F for bit it is delicious with chicken, beef, fish or pork and freezes well too.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We have at least two omelettes a week, with mushroom, onion, and some grated cheese. I cook potatoes and one other veg to go with them. Eggs potatoes, and onion are from our hens/garden at present.

Toad in the hole is another cheap meal, with own eggs. OH has the sausages, I just eat the half with a chopped mushroom in. Plus potato and one other veg.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Forgotten this one. Flat mate and I cooked it regularly when we were struggling on a low wage.

It is basically potato and onion, cut into rings. Layer the potato and onion in a saucepan. Pour on milk to cover, add salt and pepper, and simmer. It is delicious.

We also had a cauliflower cheese regularly, but the current price of cauliflowers is a bit steep.
kankel
Lively Laner

Post by kankel »

I get a ham joint and put it in the slow cooker,

1st night is hot ham with veg and yorkshiers
2nd night is cold ham with salad/jacket potato

We also have ham sandwiches for lunch for 3 days....

You can do the same with a beef joint.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!
Rotherham Collection Point
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I don't think there'll be too much bbqing weather anytime soon so I have a few standyby bits to use up.

Quality burgers cooked on a griddle and cut into strips,
half an onion and a pepper dry chargrilled in a frying pan, add olive oil, garlic, a small chopped chilli, a sprinkle of papricka a bit of diced tomato and some green leaf herb to taste.

Serve in a wrap with a bit of lettuce and it's a very tastey filling meal.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Oooh I like that one Orfy, good for bonfire night or halloween.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Last weekend I did a couple of bits of chicken from the freezer in stock (from a value stock cube), threw in the end of a bag of (value) mixed frozen veg and boiled some spuds. Thicken the stock with some gravy granules (also value range)
Voila! Chicken casserole and mashes spuds that even my lot ate!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

It doesn't come more frugal than this, especially if the spuds are from the allotment.

Gnocchi.

A bit of potato and flour. Much easier and quicker to make than pasta and is a good filler.

Some people add an egg I don't bother.
I make a spicy tomato sauce to go with it and serve with or without a little meat.

Good if you've got kids because you can get them to make it.
Skywise
Learner Laner

Post by Skywise »

I love gnocchi and make it quite often. Luckily we always get a good crop of tomatoes which I freeze during the summer and then use to make tomato sauce (or tomato soup) during the winter.

At the moment, Morrisons are selling packs of lamb bones for about £1.50 which I use to make cawl. I just put the bones in the slow cooker with a pack of diced lamb (coz hubby won't eat the meat from the bones and insists on diced lamb - idiot boy that he is :-D ) then chuck in a chopped onion, some chopped up carrots, some chopped celery - well chopped whatever rooty sort of veg you have lying around, salt, pepper, a bouquet garni of whatever herbs are still around, a couple of cloves of crushed garlic and a pint or so of stock. Let it bubble away all day and then fish out the bones, pour into a large saucepan, bring to the boil and add a couple of chopped potatoes and some dumplings.

Absolutely to die for and really, really cheap thanks to the lamb bones. I also make it with scrag end of lamb which I think gives the best flavour but, again, hubby's not too keen on the bones!

The other thing I use tons of is stale breadcrumbs - I never throw bread away unless it's turning green. It's great for making burgers with left over roast meat (or turkey mince which is cheap and very good for you) and for suetty, steamed puddings. F'rinstance tonight we're having spotted dick and custard for pudding which is using up the last of the loaf I bought on Friday which has now gone stale. Fantastic stuff - stale bread. If I'm not going to use it straight away then I "breadcrumb" it and stick it in the freezer til I need it. :-D
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

I love breast of lamb,to make a roast just take the bones and fat away,save the bones for a stock,then you can stuff and roll the breast for roasting,but to me the best way of cooking it is to boil the de-boned breast with leeks and carrot(onions are to strong a taste for this),season and thicken the gravy and let it go cold,make the pastry and put in the mix or just freeze the stew and use as and when.Dont know how much you pay for a breast of lamb over your way,but I pay just 1euro from the local butcher. )eat(
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.