Very frugal february

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Very frugal february

Post by Americanlady »

Hello everyone. I have been visiting these forums for quite a long time now and decided to join you. I've never seen such an informative and friendly place to visit and want to become a member of your great group.

Here goes. I'm 71 years young, and a month ago I asked the gentleman who had been living with me the past 14 years to go and let me live by myself at least long enough to decide what I want to do. He has a home in a neighboring town, so moving was no problem for him. My income is social security and a small retirement from my job, so my belt has had to tighten enormously without his assistance. It's actually been fun looking for all the ways I can cut down. I've never minded living alone, so the peace makes everything better.

Here's what I have done so far. Called insurance agent and got the ins. on my car, pickup truck and homowners policies reduced nicely. I cancelled my cell phone, and have already reduced my electrical usage from $98 per month to $57. I expect my gas bill will go down accordingly. I purchased a 4-column ledger and write down every penny I spend in order to see what I can save on. This is working! And like I said, it's fun and a challenge. Getting used to the lower setting on my thermostat even. Will continue to read avidly all the excellent advice I find on these forums and put as many as I can to good use. You inspire!
manda

Re: Very frugal february

Post by manda »

Well hello to you American lady and welcome to the Lane....
Seems like you could do a bit of inspiring yourself! )t'

Look forward to having a natter in posts to come :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Thanks so much for the welcome, manda. Really looking forward to being part of this group.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Wow, Hello and welcome )wav(

You have made a good start already and we look forward to hearing about how you are getting on, keep us posted )t'
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Oh, I should mention that my home and cars are all paid for, so I know I am better off that some. Only have to take care of the upkeep and taxes. I am now scouring the newspapers for cents-off coupons to help with my frugal shopping. Plenty of food in the house so don't spend hardly anything really. I have 8 cats, however, and spend quite a bit on their food and flea medicine. Love the cats, can't stand the fleas!
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Welcome to the lane from me too )wav(
Sounds like you're doing a good job on frugal feb.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
manda

Post by manda »

I am envy}} at the potential savings you can get in the USA with extreme coupon use...I was watching a Rachel Ray programme and she had a couple of ladies on there who had made it into a fine art and one bought about $150 worth of stuff and they refunded her money!!!........we don't have coupons in NZ really ..loyalty cards are the thing here but they're not so instantaneous and the savings not so extreme :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Thanks Perchy and Miss Ellie. I must throw this thought into the mix. If I simply stay at home, I not only save on gas (petrol, of course) I don't spend any money. This has been very good for me. I don't get bored at all. I have the internet, TV, books, and my cats to keep me entertained. Also, my younger son and his family are not far away. As close as the phone, they say. Do any of you know of more ways to cut down on the costs of utilities? I can't really think of any more right at the moment.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I must tell you! I find the way you talk in Britain absolutely delightful! I figured out that chooks are hens, but other words have left me in the dark. I'ts such fun to read these posts and I plan to learn to talk like you guys do. Love it!
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Hello and welcome )wav(

I too stay at home as a way of saving )t'

Looking forward to hearing your adventures {hug}
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
manda

Post by manda »

I tend to stay at home when I'm not working that is....I am ex of the UK - have been living in New Zealand for the past 8 years....my life is very different since moving here because we moved onto what are termed farmlets or lifestyle blocks - a few acres to do the good life thing. So we now grow our own meat, make our own sausages, bake bread etc...I don't think I was particularly frugal before I certainly think all the time how I can use my money more effectively because these places are like money pits! )grin2(

I don't want to assume but how do you plan your meals....I know you are on your own currently but do you do batch cooking...make a stew but make several meals worth so you freeze others and then you only need to reheat following meals?...your freezer works efficiently and your cooking costs are reduced for following meals....so that could effect your power bills.

What is the thermostat on your hot water cylinder set at?....turning it down even a couple of degrees can effect you bill.

Do you have the option of providers in your area?...could be researching the different power suppliers in your area may save you money.

A search on the internet might get you the cats flea treatment cheaper and maybe even their feed...even including delivery charges if any applied....it could still be cheaper than running the car.
Online grocery shopping can save money because you only get what you need rather than browsing and buying things that take your fancy or that happen as a result of the sneaky smells they pipe into the supermarkets!
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

I just wrote USA frugal into google and come up with....
http://www.thegreedybrain.com/Freebies/USAfrugal.htm
looks interesting! :-D
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Welcome )wav( I have to say i can't wait to here about American frugality. )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Welcome.
Chickens here have only been called chooks since the Australian Soaps became popular (mind you, that was in the 80s, so I'm showing my age).

i have sometimes wondered if what you spend in petrol, going out, you save in heating. Our central heating comes on at teatime, then goes of until the hour before bedtime. If we are out the house isn't freezing when we come in. If we are in we can 'advance' it and it still switches off at bedtime. Same for afternoons when we are often in the garden.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire