Road Kill, ever tried it?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Annielou
Lively Laner

Road Kill, ever tried it?

Post by Annielou »

Hubby came accross a doe on the way home yesterday we live in a very forrested area and they often come and eat the windfall apples in the garden. It had a broken leg and was still warm when he found it, we have butchered it (it had what looked like a damaged kidney as well and blood in the chest cavity)and put it in the freezer with a thought to giving it to the dogs. People are saying we should eat it but i'm not sure!
Annielou
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Road Kill, ever tried it?

Post by Totally Scrambled »

If it was a fresh kill and died of injuries rather than disease and looks otherwise healthy then it should be alright to eat.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
wendy

Post by wendy »

We have eaten a munkjack deer [s] in the same circumstances. But nothing else.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
chrispn
Learner Laner

Post by chrispn »

Hi we have always eaten road kill we live in a nice country village and come across phesants rabbits and the odd deer and if thay are still warm and not danaged to much me and the boys eat it or if it looks too damaged it goes to the dogs,and ferrets so no waste so try it and if you like it then enjoy. )c+
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We found a pheasant and tried it. But didn't discover till after we'd draw and plucked it that it should have been 'hung'. So it was tough.
Do you need to hang deer?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

We did for a week, not hang it, but just put it at the bottom of the fridge.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Annielou
Lively Laner

Post by Annielou »

We didn't hang it I didn't want to attract foxes to the house it was in the bottom of the fridge for 48 hours, i'm thinking to caserole it or make sausages so won't really matter if it's a bit tough!!
Thanks for your replies.
Annielou
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I have been tempted, I'm seeing phesants every day now on my way to and from work. If I hot one myself, I think I would pick it up because I'd be sure it's fresh.
A friend of my dads did it once. He clipped the pheasant's head with his bumper, so decided to take it home for sunday dinner as it was a "clean" kill. He opened his boot half an hour later in inner city Belfast to find one extremely hacked off male pheasant that had only been stunned :shock:
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Babycakes wrote:I have been tempted, I'm seeing phesants every day now on my way to and from work. If I hot one myself, I think I would pick it up because I'd be sure it's fresh.
A friend of my dads did it once. He clipped the pheasant's head with his bumper, so decided to take it home for sunday dinner as it was a "clean" kill. He opened his boot half an hour later in inner city Belfast to find one extremely hacked off male pheasant that had only been stunned :shock:

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

OK so what happened next ?
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I believe the man in question also had his golf clubs in the boot, and decided he was having his sunday roast one way or another....I dont know of he managed to catch it or not!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Try looking at Fergus the Foragers web site. He lives in Kent and did a couple of TV programmes where he went to look for roadkill etc.

http://www.wildmanwildfood.com/

)t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I have had a couple of things in the past, but only when I have seen them being hit by someone ahead of me.

I was tempted in the summer by a plump rabbit I saw on verge on the way to the beach, so I lobbed it in the car, having checked it was still warm.

Having set up my workstation in the garden with chopping board, secateurs, knife and rubber gloves I slit the belly - only to discover that it must have been warm because of the sun on it, and it was plump because it was starting to break down inside yike* yike* yike* yike* yike*

So you do have to be very careful! Also a bit put off by the last episode of Doc Martin.

But did anyone see the episode of Top Gear when the boys were on an American road trip and had to find road kill for their supper? Classic! {rofwl}
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

If you hit the pheasant with your car, legally you cannot pick it up. But the person following you could. We have a lot of pheasants round here, and so long as I had seen it killed by a car in front, or it was still warm, I would have no problem. I have grabbed rabbits off the dogs and eaten those. Also a big wild duck hit the electric power lines and virtually landed at my feet, so that was very fresh indeed.

I saw a massive deer lying by the side of the road, early one morning on my way to work. Coming back I looked, and it had gone. Someone either had a big van or pick up!!
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Babycakes wrote:I believe the man in question also had his golf clubs in the boot, and decided he was having his sunday roast one way or another....I dont know of he managed to catch it or not!!

Would you recommend a wood or putter in a situation like that.

What a great story )t'

I can just imagine them staring at each other like Basil and the rat in Fawlty towers. {rofwl}
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

to check if its fresh. look out on the roads on your way to work, if there is nothing on the way into work and there is on your way home its day fresh. The shoting season has just started around us and the shoots have all released the phesants so at the moment its a bit of a phesant flood. Apparently one large shoot rears about 70,000 birds and they only manage to bag about 35,-40,000 so thats a lot of road kill left.

we hit a rabbit on the way home the other night but were too squeemish to stop and pick it up. its a bit of a waste really as the dogs would have loved it
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills