How mean can you get?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I'm not sure who's responsible for the pricing structure in charity shops, but a look around their own local shops should be telling some of them that some of their stuff is wildly overpriced.
I went to London a few years ago and stopped in the Notting Hill Oxfam, ball dresses were going from £150, which is fair enough if people are going to pay prices like that.
Then you get down to ethical shopping, with shops like Peacocks, Asda's etc selling t-shirts for £2, you know that it can't possibly be produced that cheaply no matter how much discount you get for buying in bulk.
Shopping is getting confusing these days, at least for me.
Do I pay stupid amounts of money for items that aren't going to last very long in support of ethical shopping, or do I buy cheap stuff that's going to keep sweat shops in production?
Food's an easy one, buy the best and freshest and free-range.
Clothes, goods, etc, not so easy.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

Ilona i got over 200 popunds of barbie stuff here , trying to down shift, giving it to salvation army here , i think you are doing great
i will give hubbys car next month but not the bmw
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

there are 38 barbies , dolls house , swimming pool etc etc just want it all gone
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I'm afraid if a charity shop is asking too much for something I will haggle.
I'll give them a fair price.

Otherwise they would loose out on a sale because I don't think it's worth it and would leave it.

So ask yourself this: Is it better to haggle and they make a sale or to just walk out and reduce the money the charity receives.

I believe it's better for them to get a sale.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts