Can you do without a Car?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Following on from Rachell's post about possibly not having a car anymore (for financial reasons), has anyone else either considered it or done it?

In the last 7 years, I've been without 'mechanical means' twice for a total of about 12 month's, just cycling everywhere.
I've also gone for one year with a Moped.

Both the above for financial reasons, but to be fair, I have free railway travel for 40 days a year and on any other time get 75% off.

The only reason I have a car now (little Fiat Cinquecento) is for work really.
If I didn't work, I think I may go back to a Moped or nothing atall.
Thereagain, I get my free Bus Pass after this coming Saturday!

Be interesting to hear your views.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Richard

It goes with needs must....we have no public transport here and I would have to walk approx 1 mile to get a bus. I have a small diesel and fill it up every two months.
The Micra I had for all that time had about 80,000 on the clock.
When the oil runs out then I will have to walk or get a pony and trap!!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Like Anna we would have to walk approximately 3 miles to get to a bus stop. I work from home so dont very often use the car, except every Monday to pick my Grandaughter up from nursery.
My husband needs the 2 vans for work, we are roofers, although I have told him I am sure he and our son could manage with a ladder each on their backs, problem would be where would they put the tools and materials though :? All suggestions on a postcard please lol.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I agree there are many instances where it is more or less essential. Also, it shouldn't be seen as a guilt trip either!

I used to cycle about two miles to the Railway Station to get to work and another mile the other end.
I even had a large box on the back for Painting Jobs, about three Supermarket Bags size!!
But I didn't have school runs and there's a bus stop only about 200 meters away if needed.

It makes you wonder how people survived pre-car though! But there were loads of Village Shops then.

SEE HERE

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
rachell24
Lively Laner

Re: Can you do without a Car?

Post by rachell24 »

AnnaB wrote:Richard

When the oil runs out then I will have to walk or get a pony and trap!!

There is someone round here who has a pony and trap, I dont think they use it to get around in, must be for shows or something, Its pretty nifty, although when Im stuck behind it it gets on my nerves. Its a weird sight though, a pony and trap galloping through the very busy centre of Stockport holding its own with the cars. :shock:
New to all this
Lively Laner

Post by New to all this »

I only passed my driving test 3 years ago. Before that I would walk or catch buses. I used to drop 2 children off at different places in the mornings, baby at childminders (short walk away) then catch bus to eldest primary school then another bus to work. It never bothered me at all, but I did feel that the children were missing out on day trips in the school holidays so I learnt to drive. It did make me very lazy having a car - and I put on a stone in weight!!!! Where as I would have walked to work (half an hours walk) I wouldn't dream of it after I passed my test.
We moved about a year ago to the back of beyond, 1200 feet above sea level where when it snows it REALLY snows. I couldn't do without a car now. My eldest can catch a bus to the high school but my youngest primary school is a 15 minute drive away - and no direct bus from here!!
If I lost my licence or had to give up my car I don't know what I would do!
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

With public transport as unreliable as it is, and the fact that it doesn't start early enough - then no. I also selfishly like to get back from work as early as possible so I can be with my animals.......

Also - not too fond of unsavoury types you can find on public transport in the dark.

Funny thing is, I use the train to go on my accountancy course in Birmingham - fine on a Saturday (07.33 train), but on a Sunday I have to drive as the first train is 9am......it would need to improve greatly to make it possible I think
Small steps lead to big changes
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

I have (and still am) considering giving up my car, which unfortunately I need to drive to work 10 miles away. My childminder, youngest's playschool and eldest's primary school are all within easy walking distance (one of the good things about living here). I have also tried, unsucessfully so far, to persuade my husband to use Sainsbury's for online shopping thus cutting out the need for a car there.

The only real "problems" would be my daughter not being able to go to some many birthday parties outside of town and as somebody else said them missing out on visits to relatives etc in school holidays.

I say I am still considering it as I am finding the childminding costs for 2 children (particularly in holiday time) crippling, so need to be able to find something to do from home. If I could get rid of the car that gets rid of another large drain on my finances! So I wish Rachel luck with her quest to do likewise!

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I would be limited as to what I could do if I didn't have a car. I have a Focus estate diesel, and use it like a van, back seats always down, to carry stuff about, (free wood from work). I ran a business for 4 years taking stock to events, setting up a stand and selling it. My mileage was pretty high then as I went all over the country.

My place of work is 4 and a bit miles away, and I can start at any time, so buses are no good for me. Sometimes I cycle in, takes 35 minutes, and sometimes I walk, that's 1hour 20 minutes. My shift could be anything from 9 hours, to 15 hours. After a long day or night it is easy to zip home in 5 minutes in the car.

When I am not working I sometimes go to town on my bike, or walk, if I don't have heavy items to carry, it's 5 miles. I look on the walking/cycling as part of my excercise, keeps me fit, if you don't use it, it stops working. Also if I am not earning money then I don't have any to spend, so I cut down on the diesel.

I try and combine several jobs in one car journey, T***o is 1 mile further on from work so I always shop after work, I never go from home to supermarket and back again. Yesterday I went to speak to a group at Grimsby, something I had to do. I wanted some cat litter from Mo******s, it's cheaper, so I picked it up as I was passing their door. Carefull planning of journeys can reduce your mileage.
I do my best.
Ilona
PS. I never get HP on a car, always save up and pay cash. My last 2 cars have been ex motability cars, very low mileage, maintained by the original dealer, and exchanged by the disabled person for a new one after 3 years. Very good value.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

what do you do now Michele for a job?

Im/was a childminder, only did it for a year before my little suprise baby number three came along. childcare is so expensive there is no way I could go back to work during the day, well I could but it would just be in a callcentre where I was team leader in my previous life and god I hated it. Not slogging my guts out all week for the same amount I can earn working a couple of evenings, after paying out for child care. I worked evenings before childminding anyway so thats the route I may have to go down again if I decide to keep the car. Not doing childminding again, have discovered I love children, but only my own. LOL

Theres a programme on tonight about callcentres Im going to have to watch that remind me of the bad old days. I always said when I worked at my call centre, that the day someone has to ask me if they can go to the toilet its time to leave, and I did, after ten years. It was a great feeling. )c(

We are lucky as my OH has a company car and he works from home on average 2/3 days a week, although saying that hes not here at all next week. There is no way I could get rid of the car if we only had that one to rely on. Id go demented.
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Hi Rachel,

I work three days a week as a legal secretary (nice colleagues but boring job). We deal mainly with conveyancing (buying & selling houses), so things are a bit quiet business wise at present with the current economic worries.

I know what you mean about childminding! It's usually the first thing people suggest when you say that you would like to work from home, but I don't think I could cope with other peoples' children!! Plus my husband works nights and is obviously therefore asleep during the day.

Anyway I am still looking into various avenues for earning a few bob so if I have any bright ideas (unlikely but you never know your luck!) I'll let you know.

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

I would love to give up my car but there is no way I could at the moment. I'm a childminder, looking after 3 little ones and then I'm mum of three also. I have to have a people carrier because of the kids but this is diesel. The boys school takes around 20 minutes to drive each way but if we walked it would take, oh my about one and a half hours and its all up hill. When my 2nd son moves to his senior school which is just down the road I will only have one left in the other school so hopefully he will get a place in a school nearer to our home. My life plan is to move to the country, maybe Wales and live just outside a village with a school, then hopefully we could do without one of our cars.

I'm looking into running our car on veg oil, as this sounds such a great idea. Anyone tried it?
wendy

Post by wendy »

No.
I have my work to get to also, I walk dogs, especially my friends guide dog. I have to get the them and then take them to the walking area's.
I think they need to work more on fuel that doesn't pollute. Rather than think about getting to other planets. Lets take care of the one we have.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

why is it when I do catch the bus (not very often), the weirdo who gets on the bus comes and sits next to me? )ang
James
Lively Laner

Post by James »

i have never had a car.

i was living in london until about 18 months ago when we moved to gloucestershire. my partner mandy has one, as she is a GP and needs it for work.

I can ride a bike to kemble train station and get to cheltenham or swindon for the work I have done here so far. I also ride every where in the evenings, it is great to get there on your own steam, although you have to be careful going to one of the country pubs, as it is tempting to ride home, which i think is illegal on a bicycle.
Exchanging home grown fruit and vegetables
http://www.VegExchange.com