Any Frugal Insulation Tips ?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Any Frugal Insulation Tips ?

Post by Richard »

Like old sash windows and putting folded newspapers in the gaps to avoid the draughts etc.

I'm sure there are many cheap or free alternatives to a lot of things which are sold.

Anyone done any alternative loft insulation, doors, walls etc. etc.

Richard

(yes, I'm looking to write a website article and would always mention from where they came of course)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Re: Any Frugal Insulation Tips ?

Post by p.penn »

I think back to when I used to stay with my grandparents - they always closed all of the internal doors, and had a heavy door curtain and a door sausage (for the gap at the bottom). A single coal fire kept the room toasty warm, and the nightly ritual of 'hotties' took place about 30 mins before bedtime.

I never close my internal doors, but I am sure it would help really. However, I also remember running the guantlet through the rest of the freezy cold house, till jumping into bed!!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

Interesting Helen, memories ! I guess you could make a door 'sausage' quite easily from old bits and bobs of cloth etc.

In one house I owned I got hold of loads of plywood after a nearby Store had a refurbish and used it to board the Loft Floor. Don't really know if it made a difference or not, but this was before the Loft Insulation craze.

The thing is to make something or do something which, if it is seen, doesn't look tatty.

)t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

My parents have got a heavy curtain over the front door, in the days before double glazing it would have made a lot of difference but I think it still keeps in radiated heat as well as keeping out drafts. Door sausages are invaluable if you do get drafts, I used to use a rolled up towel in my last house.
Bah Humbug
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I once did a loft boarding job for an elderly couple, they had polystyrene flakes (as used in pakaging) for loft insulation. I have no idea where they got that much of them from but were happy with the results. I did ask if they wanted propper insulation putting down before I boarded it but they declined. :?
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

My mum and dads door sausage was just an old offcut of carpet rolled up and tied into a sausage with a couple of bits of string )t'
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

I use the curtain trick too, even in the barn. Long strands of felt, which used to be common in stores are good in cracks, and if you have older clothes or rags made of microfibre, they can be shredded/twisted to stop air flow and they won't get moldy like some things. When your boot liners wear out, make them into strips when you replace the felt.

Fibreglass batts are often thrown out during renos and if dry are worth having, especially in attics and at the sills where the house meets its foundation. If you have a dryer, take a look and see if the outside vent has baffles that keep cold air out when it's not in use, and use fibreglass around the tubing to the outside to secure that joint. Check your sill plates very carefully too, especially in older structures in case the wood has deteriorated and needs sealing.

Sometimes rubber matting is available and can be cut to baffle air under doors without interfering with the opening & closing.

Houses are do darn leaky!

One tube of foam insulation is probably worth the outrageous price.

Vapor seal over windows, even if used, and if you have a pretty curtain to camouflage it, so much the better.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
NEWTOCHOOKS
Lively Laner

Post by NEWTOCHOOKS »

Try interlining curtains with a well worn duvet you know the cheepo ones that go quite flat over a period of time or even an old blanket it really helps to seal draughts at doors and windows.

Door excluders can be made from an bit of material and filled with old tights etc.

Just had a thought would bubble wrap act as insulation around pipes?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Great ideas, thanks )t'

Keep'em coming !!!! :-D

Richard
Shlugh
Longlasting Laner

Post by Shlugh »

Hiya,

If you have central heating radiators, make your curtains above them long enough that they fall down the back of the raidiator when drawn. That helps channel the heat back into the room.

Shlugh xx
[center]We now have a cream egg skelter, blessings on Pippi, Penny and Poppy who fill it for us.[/center]
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

Remove the frame from around older windows. Even if they were insulated in the past, there is probably a gap where shims were used to level the window, and on the other edges. Plug the gaps with fibreglass, microfibre, felt or other suitable material, and here's the best tip of all- Cover the edges with 'tuck tape', trimming to hide it under the frame. Tuck tape will stick to nearly anything and survives temperatures well below freezing so it never has to be replaced. This is a one time solution that makes a huge difference. Replace the frames and things are cosy again.

Note- Tuck tape is that wide red tape sold at hardware stores.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

Metal frame windows can be exceptionally leaky. If you're getting water or air through the corners or seams, and you have some waterproofing spray for shoes on hand, mask the glass or any other bits you want to avoid, and spray the outside of the leak (non-moving parts only) with the shoe spray. Works best on a day over 10C. Should get you through one or two winters.
~Emily Dickinson

LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

Shutters have lost their popularity, but some designers recommend interior ones instead of curtains. Properly constructed of reclaimed wood, they can add style and baffle drafts, especially at night and can be opened in the morning to let the sun in. Use recycled hinges too.
~Emily Dickinson

LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

When we first moved in here I used papier mache to fill the gaps in the floorboards & between floorboards & skirting - made a huge difference to the draftiness & you can sand it down & paint it easily.
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

If you burn wood, don't forget to check your baffle yearly- clean the edges and make sure the metal is not corroded, letting warm air out when you have it shut to conserve loss up the chimney. Perfectly good ones with chains and levers can often be obtained from others renovating, or at scrap yards.
~Emily Dickinson