Spudleys 2011.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
spudley
Legendary Laner

Re: Spudleys 2011.

Post by spudley »

Well quick update.
I have blown the rest of my £50 on underware and a pair of flip flop that has the word fit in them.

I have bought a years car parking in one (that will save me loads-it was a large sum to pay at once, but due to the not spending I had it there) but I dont have to take cash out of the back each week to pay for it and the extra bit left doesnt get frittered away.

We have managed to pay an extra £500 of our mortgage each month this year and are on track to make it again this month- but I think that August may be a bit of a squeeze. I found a web site that had a very large reduction of dried dog food that goes out of date in December so brought a huge amount of it. For the wet dog food, i have been buying reduced mince meat and freezing it, then cooking it up with a bit of porridge oats to bulk it out abit. They love it. It works out cheaper than tins and I know whats in it.

I think that the not spending gets easier the longer that you do it. Sometimes though I wish that I could just go out and blow a ton of money, but the thing is I know that I really dont need anything. To be honest I dont really want anything.

Maybe its been the weather but I dont seem to be as miserable this year. Or it could be that I have just become content with what I have and that the grass isnt always greener and I am not looking for something better-not that I would buy it anyway!!!! Over half way through the year and feel positive that I am going to be able to do it again- although the winter boots are looking a bit rough its going to be a bit of a superglue job till the sales next year, but if the weather is really rubbish it will be wellies to work and then change into shoes there. Still a lot of wear left in the wellies, and its not like I am a fashion victim. Practicality is my new fashion...
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
issy
Lively Laner

Post by issy »

Hi Spudley,
Hats off to you. We too are finding things difficult as my OH is self-employed too, and work is drying up. We are tied to a fixed morgage-(5years) with 2 years left. I am worried that by the time we come out of the fixed rate that the rates will have shot up. I can't make extra payments as we are only just managing to make ends meet now. So reading your posts has helped me feel i can manage with the belts tightened even more.
so thanks
issy
Enthusiastic veg grower. Trying to be more frugal. Family:Much loved husband, son, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 8 ex batts soon to arrive.
RIP Dumpling,Boss,Plum, Pudding,Hoppy,Betty,Custard and Gerty our ex battys
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

Hello Issy, We have a tracker mortgage, so at the moment we are able to make the extra payments. When we first took it out the rate were rising and we began to think that we wouldnt be able to pay any more.
Then when they started to drop i began to put the difference away (I still managed to fritter here and there) then at the end of that year we paid off what we had left.
Last year I made sure that I put a certain amount in a savings account and paid that off at the end of the year ( but we needed a new stove and flu so that came out of the savings)
This year we set up the standing order so the money went out each month, and if it looks like I am not going to make it I know that I can pop into the bank and stop the payment.
It was hard not buying anything new last year, its nice to buy pretty things it cheers you up, thats why we work after all. This year I have tried to look at it in a more round about way. I see it as not buying into consumerism repairing what we have as we shouldnt really live is a disposable society. It helps me get my head around it. I have noticed in the shop that a lot of things that we are selling now are more parts and repair kits. A lot more people are buying to make do as opposed to new.
If the business should go into free fall at least I know that we have paid a chunk of the mortgage in the last three years that will allow us to cope should we have to drop to interest only payments. Its harder for you as you are on a fixed rate. That was probably wise at the time the way that things were going.

So think to yourself that, you are not tightening belts but have decided to "opt out of the disposable society that we are living in" People dont look at me as odly when I say that as when I say that I am just not buying anything new/dont need.
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

This thread has been under my radar until now - interesting read though. Sounds like you are doing really well. We're moving shortly, and after that we need to go back to throwing money at the mortgage again - amazing what a difference even a small overpayment makes.
issy
Lively Laner

Post by issy »

Thanks Spudley.
Just have to keep hoping things pick up soon.
Enthusiastic veg grower. Trying to be more frugal. Family:Much loved husband, son, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 8 ex batts soon to arrive.
RIP Dumpling,Boss,Plum, Pudding,Hoppy,Betty,Custard and Gerty our ex battys
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

Last year and this year, I made a rule that anything that went down the drain didnt cost more than half price (or if there was a cheaper version than the one that I wanted at half price I would buy that). Last year there were loads of bargains to be had. I had no problem at buying half price stuff like wahing liquid and the such.

However I have noticed that this year I am really struggling- it doesnt matter where I am shopping there are less and less half price items. This week was a real struggle to find a half price washing powder/liquid. I prefer liquid as it all dissolves and doesnt affect the septic tank. I thought that I wouldnt be able to do any washing this week!!! such a shame. Finally found some in pesco.

It has made me have a good look around. I have noticed that there are less and less of the basics that you need on a day to day basis on half price offer, and its more of the nicer things that you dont need that are on offer. No wonder my weekly shopping bill is on the up. Way to trap us in a not needed shopping cycle,

Even Mr Spud who normally just lobs stuff in the trolley has been paying attention. Shopping trips seem to take twice as long now as we both really pay attention, offers that look good arent really that good. He has stopped putting in the bogoffs and has started to pay attention to those offers that are 1 costs say £2 but buy 2 for £3. Why spend that extra £1 on something that you dont need or the £3 for two things that you dont need. Hurrah Mr Spud has finally cottoned on.
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

Its been a tough month, so this week we are having a cupboard week, should leed to an interesting weeks food. (thank god for the emergency shelf - lets hope that there isnt a national emergency any time soon as will need to re stock that when the cash is spare) I shall mainly be eating pasta and Mr S will have some odd tinned concoctions. Its a good job that we both have asbestos lined gullets and stomachs!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've just caught up with this thread too. I remember your sad elastic from last year!

It does pay in the long run; at the beginning of our married life we noticed that most of our mortgage payments were interest not capital so we tried to get it down to a stage where more of the payments went on capital. It made us feel more secure to owe less and gleeful when we paid it off. And if you have savings you can make sensible, long-term choices, not be rattled from one emergency to another when the boiler or car break down.

Keep it up. We don't need to be conned into consumerism!
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

P.s. I keep my sad elastic for wearing under trousers and the worst in the bottom of the drawer for when I haven't done a white wash for a while. Save your old undies and you can save up the laundry till there's a full load saving more water, electricity (and cash).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire