Grocery prices

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Grocery prices

Post by roddelmae »

In the Mail today (yes, I read the Mail; so what?) there is an article about the price of groceries in 2006 and now.
I've been checking the 'now' prices against what we pay and they seem a bit OTT to me. Perhaps it's because we live 'oop north' where shopping is known to be cheaper, and also we live in a town where there is a good choice of shops to buy from. People who live in the country would have less choice and, consequently, pay more.
Here is the list as published, with the prices we pay, and from where.
2006 2011 We pay from
Bread - white sliced 800g. 80p £1.20 75p Farm Foods
English butter 250g 78p £1.23 We don't use butter
Cheddar cheese 1 Kg £5.73 £7.62 £5 Asda
Milk (per pint) 33p 44p £1 for 2 litres Iceland/Asda
Tea bags 250g £1.41 £1.98 £2.40 500g Asda
Instant coffee 100g £1.83 £2.57 £1.48 200g Asda
Sugar 1 Kg 73p 94p 68p Asda

How does this list compare with yours?
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Grocery prices

Post by Annie »

Rod , I must admit that the grocery shop is done in double quick time for me and all from the same source so can't do a comparison as such item by item but I would say that my average shop over the past 12 months I reckon to have gone up about £10 per week. Our big 4 supermarkets are spread about and can't be found all in one town so that makes it difficult to bargain shop supermarket v supermarket because you would have to factor in fuel costs for running about.
My sister lives in a market town and like you, can compare like for like and it can make a big difference to her grocery shop, though I must add she and my b.i.l. are retired so are able to spare the time to shop like this.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I can't comment on the specific prices, but I can say that it is becoming increasingly difficult to bring our family grocery shop in under budget ... I've noticed a big difference over the last twelve months, and there are a lot of things that seem to have significantly increased over the last few months.
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

You've not seen anything yet.

In the good years the supermarkets have had price wars keeping food somewhat artificially low. Due to various internal and external factors things will change. In Mexico the price of some basic food commodities have risen 50%-100% and some families have seen food go from taking 30%-50% of their income go to 60%-100%

We will probably see some of that here. Grain prices could triple over the next few years.

One example. Cooking oil.

5 years ago - 32p a litre.
Now around £1.50 a litre.

The demand for resources is increasing dramatically and the availability is not increasing.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Shrek
Lively Laner

Post by Shrek »

One reason for the rise in the cost of cooking oil is the fact that many diesel drivers are using it to bulk out ther fuel purchases. Many diesel cars will run on a 50/50 mix quite happily.

I've done it.
One elderly cat called Chloe and Zak the baby tom.... Betty the Speckledy, Maggie the Black Rock and Kylie the Bluebelle !!!
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Yes, I reckon my weekly shop is around £10 dearer than a year or two back, but these things creep up on you gradually so you don't notice day-by day.
We are in the SE - nothing is cheap down here.
Fortunately my budget isn't so tight that it's a problem but I know it must be hairy for some. Would hate to have to ration fruit etc.
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

So you live in the SE Rhubarb; so did we 12 years ago, if you call Farnborough, Hants., south-east.
When we go south to visit friends and rellies, we can't help but notice how much more expensive shopping is there, even in the same supermarket. I guess they set their margins to what they think the local market can tolerate, or it could be that business rates are more, putting their site costs higher.
Either way, I'm glad I moved.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.