Frugal Tips to keep you warm this Winter

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Frugal Tips to keep you warm this Winter

Post by Richard »

Go for it !

)t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Re: Frugal Tips to keep you warm this Winter

Post by Knikitta »

Tin foil behind your radiators!

Just take some thick cardboard and cover it in tin foil, then slide the board behind your radiators, lower the thermostat and you might be surprised at the difference in your bill!
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Tick )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

I put this in the other thread on Winter but to have all the tips in one place is a good idea, so reposting it here:

Line your curtains with cheap fleece blankets (variety of colours available) and either sew them to the curtain or attach with safety pins so they can be easily removed next Spring.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Get yourself some thermal under-layers.
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Leave your coat on a little longer when you get in. Go to bed a little earlier.

Prep everything you need in the morning the night before. Get up have a shower go out.

I reckon you can save an hour or so heating costs per day.

Get a fire pit and sit out side on dry evenings.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
perchy

Post by perchy »

if I get a little chilly when sat reading, computing etc, I warm my lavendar wheat bag in the microwave, it is rectangle rather than square, I put it on the back of my nexk, and it is surprising how much warmer you feel very quickly, and the heat lasts for some time )t'
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Fingerless gloves/mitts.

Sleeping bag/fleecy blankets to snuggle into when sitting in front of the TV/computer in the evenings.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
tiameg
Lively Laner

Post by tiameg »

Don't have three dogs who want to go in again, out again, in again all darn day - then your house will keep the heat in! {rofwl} Really, I've never solved this one....
I love egg. In fact sometimes I think I'm going to turn into a big giant egg. - Fr Dougal McGuire
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

tiameg wrote:Don't have three dogs who want to go in again, out again, in again all darn day - then your house will keep the heat in! {rofwl} Really, I've never solved this one....

It's not our dog that's the problem ....it's the Blooming cats who want every door and window in the house open !!!!
Frugal doesn't come into it in our house, Annie's Mum ( who is 94) lives with us and she ALWAYS thinks its cold. So even in mid December Annie and I are to be found in T -shirts still sweating buckets in the tropical spot that is our lounge.

Or hows about to save money on your heating bills.........go into work and let them pay for heating you )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Oheckitseck wrote:Or hows about to save money on your heating bills.........go into work and let them pay for heating you )t'

In the 1980s when I worked in a public library, that's exactly what a lot of people, especially pensioners, used to do. They'd camp down in the Reference Libary and read the newspapers etc - just to be somewhere warm and save on heating at home.

My tip: I hang a curtain over the front door and one over the back door as these are where there may be draughts (like the key hole, letter flap or cat flap), but I also have a curtain over the middle wall door so that it acts like a barrier between the warmer living room and the cooler dining room/kitchen, but isn't closed like a door so the dog can come and go between rooms without having all the doors open )t' and meanwhile the living room stays nice and warm
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

I do the curtain trick at the front and back door too, Also when its really drafty I roll towels up to place under the lounge doors, If I feel suddenly nippy I do abit of exercise to warm my blood up and then sit back down usually by then Im in hot sweat.
Andrea- Sunny Clucker fan awaiting her arrival in Kettering,Northamptonshire.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Fly south?

Half serious, Mrs Fab and I would like to spend half the year abroad when we retire. Just need to work out where and how to finance it (has to be somewhere a lot cheaper than UK and EU).
Michael
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

If you have a bus pass, spend the days on a bus.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

When we lived in UK we always used to go to Malta in April. There were people there that go there every year for 3 months. They found it was cheaper with not having hefty electric and gas bills plus their food bill it worked out cheaper than living in UK.