Vanity versus frugality.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
saint-spoon

Vanity versus frugality.

Post by saint-spoon »

From a vanity point of view, is there anything you would not give up in order to be frugal. Perhaps you need a particular brand of makeup or an expensive aftershave to feel good; do the grey hairs need covering up so hair dye is a luxury you will not do without. Do you prioritise branded clothing over free-range eggs when saving the pennies. What luxury items would you not do without. I ask this because Ruth has recently put an interesting post about giving up shampoo which seems to be going very well (Ruth's shampoo thread)

I am not a vain person so actually I can't think of anything I wouldn't give up if I had to, My clippers are important becuase I cut my own hair and it is a lot cheaper than the razor blades I'd get through if I shaved my head.
Bah Humbug
Willow
Legendary Laner

Re: Vanity versus frugality.

Post by Willow »

From a vanity point of view the only thing I would really hate to give up would be mascara because I have very fair eyelashes. Concealer would be the next, to hide dark circles under my eyes.. My pale skin has been the bane of my life!
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
mortgagefreeme
Learner Laner

Post by mortgagefreeme »

Well I am a vain person. I'm not ready for giving up hair dye yet and I can't see me ever going make up free. I have however, learnt to do it on the cheap. I have downshifted my products. ie Clinique mascara (£15) to Primark mascara (£1). It took some doing because most of the cheaper products are awful, but every now and then I come across a gem. Poundshops are great for cheap branded makeup and hairdye. I used to be a shampoo and conditioner snob, but now I'm finding some really good, cheap alternatives that work well (Inecto coconut products from hom*barg"s £1 are fab).

A hard lesson I have had to learn is that frugality and caring what other people think do not mix well. I will now happily tell people that I cut my own hair, and recommend cheap products I use. I like to look reasonably smart but I'm not going to buy branded/labelled clothes in order to impress people..I've always found that a bit odd :?
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Mascara! Sorry but I love a certain expensive one as it makes me look human!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

well at least we are being honest about this )t'
Bah Humbug
perchy

Post by perchy »

I can't forego clinique mascara, I buy 1 a year, the cheap ones seem to clog on my eyelashes which irritate my eyes, so definitely won't give that up, and normally buy it at Christmas from Mr P {hug} Hair dyes I normally get from cheaper shops although some supermarkets have them quite reasonable too )t'

I think I save on showering and bathing lotions and potions, I rarely bathe as my skin is weird, and when I shower I only use dove soap very quickly, so no long pampering sessions with expensive bath oils etc for me, so I have now convinced myself I am ok to have clinique mascara {rofwl}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I will not forego my hairdye for anyone! I have made the concession to do it myself now rather than go to the salon. Being totally grey from the age of 26 I must have spent thousands in that salon over the years. The last time I had it coloured there, it was £80 for a few highlights and an all over tint. I would get this done every 3 months and once a month in between, get the roots done at £30 - so on average £46 per month on my colour yike* Now I do it myself and I tend to stock up on the brand I like when it's on special offer so rarely spend more than £5 per pack so a saving of £41 per month )c(

I do buy good makeup but don't wear it every day so it will last me for ages (I never take any notice of the 'use within 6 months' thing). Last year I switched to a cheap facial wash rather than my usual cleanser - I will be switching back again as soon as I've used it up :oops:

I don't buy expensive shampoos or conditioners (I have tried them in the past and didn't notice any difference). I do love posh smellies but don't buy them myself, just drop hints for Christmas and birthdays! The same with perfume, although I will buy myself some if I've run out - if I'm feeling flush, it will be Prada, if not it will be whatever is in the sale.

Clothes, I have a mixture of stuff from very expensive down to very cheap - I buy what I like the look of irrespective of if it has a label - I will only buy expensive items if they are classic things that will come out year after year, like a good coat or boots. My favourite everyday type shop is White Stuff which although not cheap is excellent quality and the clothes there will last me for years - plus they have brilliant sales )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I used to buy clinique make up but haven't bought any for ages - tend to buy cheaper products in the supermarket now but then I dont wear as much make up as I used to - cant be bothered ! Moisturisers I get in A*di find they're just an good as the expensive stuff - think they're all a con anyway.

Shampoo - I use baby shampoo - find it keeps my hair lovely and shiney - the more expensive products tend to make it feel "claggy" so I've never bothered with them.

It tends to be food I spend more money on - cant stand cheap bacon so always get the more expensive.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

julie62 wrote:It tends to be food I spend more money on - cant stand cheap bacon so always get the more expensive.

I tend to think that quality is better than frugality on quite a few food products, bacon being one.
Bah Humbug
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I actually dislike good quality bacon, we buy the really thin water filled stuff!

Odd tastes!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I like to wear perfume every day, and although my clarins blue doesn't cost an absolute fortune, it's still enough.

I think it's important to smell nice though. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I'm with you Helen except I love the clarins tonic (orange) rather than the blue. I've never bought it for myself though, I wait till birthdays and Christmas and +f+ at my OH. Other than that I'm not too fussy and tend to get my make up from the £1 shops and do a DIY hair dye every 6 weeks - although think I'll spend my birthday voucher for debanhams at the Clinique counter just for old time sakes :oops:
One thing I don't scrimp on is coffee, I've tried all the cheapo ones but have decided I can't go without my nescaffee $cf$
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
perchy

Post by perchy »

I love the Debenhams make up and perfume counters {hug}
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Stef wrote:I actually dislike good quality bacon, we buy the really thin water filled stuff!
Odd tastes!

got to be English free range for me, and the free range is Important.

MissEllie wrote:One thing I don't scrimp on is coffee, I've tried all the cheapo ones but have decided I can't go without my nescaffee $cf$

I don't drink a great deal of tea but it has to be Twine- ings early grey. No milk and no sugar just the infusion of the tea. Probably two or three cups of a morning, no more than that. I do drink a lot of water, from the tap not stuff you buy; I like the taste of our chalky water down south.

I have thought of what I couldn't be without on a vanity perspective, my underarm deoderant. I use a brand that doesn't irritate my skin and doesn't smell too much so it wont irritate my nose. It is often on special so I do stock up and half a dozen tins will last me six months or more.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I cannot drink nessscaffee. Bluuurgh.

I really love cafee direcct both the instant and the medium roast filter. I allow myself a teeny cafetiere a day, but not every day!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com