Good bye TV.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Forgot to add:

I used to get loads of letters from TV licensing. Then they threatened to visit. And then they visited ... it took them five attempts before I was in. They kept calling at around 6pm, yet I didn't get back home until at least 7pm, so kept missing them.

On each visit they left me a postcard saying they had missed me ... and the threat of a £1,000 fine if they had found me using a TV, etc.

One day, I opened the door and there was a very nice chap from the local TV licensing office.

I explained that I had no TV, and he was welcome to check with a) the cable company who would confirm I had just phone and broadband, b) look on my roof as I was the only house in the road without an aerial, c) ask my neighbours, who would confirm that they invited me to watch anything of national importance (such as Princess Diana's funeral, Queen Mum's funeral, Charles & Camilla wedding, etc), and d) they were welcome to park one of their nice TV detector vans outside for however long they wanted, anytime they wanted to.

And then I pleaded with him to stop the harassment of the threatening letters. He promised to do so ... and he was as good as his word. Every few years I get a letter asking me if my situation has changed, which I confirm hasn't.
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

we simply could not do without a t,v in our house infact we have a t.v in every room apart from the bathroom...i think in this day and age with kids its the norm for them to have t.vs in their rooms etc....although i don,t watch soaps i think they are so depressing and hate the arguing and since having the girls and joining DTL ..i have a new lease of life and hardley watch t.v at all xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, :oops: have to say would really miss my tv if i didn't have it. I guess that kind of goes against the flow of the forum but I watch the soaps, am an avid football fan and my hubby loves the wrestling.

When we are on holiday I don't miss it at all. But at home it's different.

To try to save money we have recently considered stopping the sky tv but for us it's value for money. We go out rarely and after his 14 hours work every day, relaxing in front of the box is perfect for my hubby!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jay
Lively Laner

Post by jay »

No chance of no t.v here, we have 5 of them in our house...

jay
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

I have cut my sky package back to basics,unfortunately cannot get digital here.
I encourage the wee one to go outside in the summer but at the moment I cannot see the other side of the valley and it is hissing down.
We do lots of crafty things but sometimes I need 5 and the tv goes on :oops:
Also need my sci fi and fantasy to escape :-D
Karen
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Without a telly how on earth am I going to watch spring/autumn watch or the latest series from the Attenborough stable??
There is a lot of improving stuff out there if you manage to wade through the swamp of lowlife vacuous drivel transmitted to appease the ever increasing moronic section of society. I did however mange to endure about two minutes of “ I’m-a-celebrity-choir-dancing-on-ice-factor-starsâ€
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hiya Dave.
Where ya bin ?
Looks like you know lots of names and programme's I think you are a secret TV watcher )t'
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

On here for quite a bit. )t'

Also www.homebrewtalk.com
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
wendy

Post by wendy »

Are you a Dave as well ?

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Yikes not another one...and there was me thinking that I was one of a kind; unique if you like, the only one.
Anyway Wendy, to answer your question I have been , in between secret missions, off on camping holidays (various) with Mrs S-S.
There have been loads of new folk since my last visit (excluding yesterday obviously) which seems like ages ago; the truth is that in between secret (and highly dangerous) missions, camping forays, fishing with my nephew and other dead exciting activities I really couldn’t be ar$ed to drag myself up to the computer to log on (I might have missed emmer-side-street-oaks-and-away if I had). Anyway I’m back at smelly old work again and find myself currently devoid of students to teach, hence my timely return. Hope that you are all well.
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well it is good to see you didn't get shot or totured and I hope you had a good time.
Work again eh !!
Wendy

pinkypullet
Learner Laner

Post by pinkypullet »

Nellie wrote:Forgot to add:

I used to get loads of letters from TV licensing.

I did too.... to the converted 'Turkey Shed/Barn' that I rent to keep my horse in, opposite where I live. It has no electricity, never has and funny enough no T.V.!

The letters kept coming, threatening a visit,then I sent one back, and wrote on the envelope something like, 'The horses here are too busy to watch any T.V. (except for the racing, then they come to the house)'.

Never heard from them again. :-D