Wood burner

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Wood burner

Post by albertajune »

It does look great and I'm sure that you will be more than happy with it. We had a multi fuel one installed 10yrs ago now and I wouldn't be without it. I put on a shovel full of staybright fuel before bed on really cold nights, once it glows red, shut it almost down and it is still alight on getting up. Just a reminder to always make sure that you have some ventilation in the room.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Very stylish, and toasty too - just what you need on a day like today!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

What an attractive looking stove. Hope it meets all your needs.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Oooh, that's really lovely envy}}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

It looks great, I am sure you will be more than happy with it.
[center][/center]Davina
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Well done Kassie, I bet your suprised how much heat it gives out! )t' , looks great....... )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Lovely! We got ours fitted during the summer and have only had to light it a few times because it's never really been cold enough in the kitchen/diner! OH is really disappointed so I've let him light it a few times just briefly. Ho Hum! Just had an email from my cousin who says that this winter is predicted to be the worst for 100 years. Given the accuracy of the 5 day forecast I'm not sure that I believe this.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

That looks great, there's something about wood burners, they just look fab!
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Looking good, you can't beat em, we haven't had the heating on yet this year and have only used two stoves on a few occasions.
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

We have always had real fires in the 35 years we have been married. But last year we had our first stove burner installed and it is great. Much more efficient than the open fire that lets 80% of the heat up the chimney.

We still have an open fire in the dining room but are now thinking of getting a stove for in there too.

Good luck with yours.
Michael
Hellebore
Lively Laner

Post by Hellebore »

I have just bought. Morso Squirrel 1430 for £370 on Ebay, paid £100 to have it fitted. I was lucky the chimney was already lined etc so minimum outlay.
I love the stove, it is extremely controllable and keeps our open plan living room and bedrooms at a comfortable temperature. It also makes an attractive focal point. That said during the recent bitterly cold spell the bathroom was definitely NOT warm enough to take a bath.
In terms of fuel we are still at the experimental stage but we are having good results with Smokeless Ecoal currently 30% off at Boyle & Quayle but you have to collect and hardwood logs. I had hoped to save money on my gas bill, but so far this hasn't proved to be the case. Admittedly I have only had the heating on for an hour each morning to warm/dry towels etc but when you add the cost of coal, logs, kindling and firelighters etc i think I am spending the same, if not more.
We have several local log dealers that sell good quality logs, but the only way to save money is to buy in vast quantities which for financial and physical reasons I can't do.
Even though I am very inexperienced in stove operation I think the only way it is possible to save money is if you have access to free or vastly reduced wood.
I too would welcome any advice from experienced multifuel stove owners please.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Hellebore wrote:when you add the cost of coal, logs, kindling and firelighters etc i think I am spending the same, if not more

you are probably right, if it where that much cheaper then everyone would be switching to stoves. We are probably saving on fuel costs at the moment as we burn far less smokeless fuel than on the open fires and I have a good supply of timber from tress I have cut down in the garden.

Part of the appeal though is that it is an alternative to central heating which can break down on occasions and is subject to power cuts. Also, it is far more cozy and homely than an artificial fire.

(sat in front of our stove running at full blast as I write this).
Michael
ericonabike
Learner Laner

Post by ericonabike »

£1200 for a Stovax 5kw to be HETAS fitted. Oak beam above as a mantel shelf, looks absolutely lovely. Heats the whole open-plan downstairs of our 4 bed detached. Heating comes on for an hour each morning to air the bedrooms and dry the towels! Wood cost = zero as I scavenge pallets and offcuts from local factories, hotels etc. Cutting them up with a power saw is reasonably quick and appeals to my inner Neanderthal as well! Should have paid for itself within 2 - 3 years.
Jonathan Ross says 'you're in for a Tweet if you follow @ericonabike'