Using Eggs for burns Hoax

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Maggie1

Using Eggs for burns Hoax

Post by Maggie1 »

A young man sprinkling his lawn and bushes with pesticides wanted to check the contents of the barrel to see how much pesticide remained in it. He raised the cover and lit his lighter; the vapours ignited and engulfed him.
He jumped around screaming..
His neighbour came out of her house with a dozen eggs and a bowl yelling: "Bring me some more eggs!"
She broke them, separating the whites from the yolks.
The neighbour woman helped her to apply the whites onto the young man's face.
When the ambulance arrived and the paramedics saw the young man, they asked who had done this.
Everyone pointed to the lady. They congratulated her and said: "You have saved his face."
By the end of the summer, the young man brought the lady a bouquet of roses to thank her. His face was like a baby's skin.

A Healing Miracle for Burns:
Keep in mind this treatment of burns is being included in teaching beginner firemen.
First Aid consists of first spraying cold water on the affected area until the heat is reduced, which stops the continued burning of all layers of the skin.
Then, spread the egg whites onto the affected area.
One woman burned a large part of her hand with boiling water.
In spite of the pain, she ran cold tap water on her hand, separated 2 egg whites from the yolks, beat them slightly and dipped her hand in the solution.
The whites then dried and formed a protective layer.
She later learned that the egg white is a natural collagen and continued for at least an hour to apply layer upon layer of beaten egg white.
By afternoon she no longer felt any pain and the next day there was hardly a trace of the burn.
10 days later, no trace was left at all and her skin had regained its normal colour.
The burned area was totally regenerated thanks to the collagen in the egg whites, a placenta full of vitamins.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Use of eggs other than eating

Post by mrs boodles »

Maggie that is very interesting, we used to use egg white and oxygen on pressure sores when I was nursing in 70`s and it was pretty good.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Very interesting reading there Maggie, i mentioned this to staff in our Burns Unit today and apparently it's a hoax which is doing the rounds at present. Putting eggs on a burn may contribute to infection rather than healing.
The recommended treatment for burns is still keep under cold running water for 20 minutes or seek medical attention if a large area is involved.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
manda

Post by manda »

I had a look around at this and it is absolutely not true....

As Ellie says minor burns should have water run over them to reduce the heat in the burn....major burns shouldn't as there is huge amounts of heat loss related with the injury and the patient can go into shock.

Eggs put onto a burn can introduce Salmonella into the wound so the risk outweighs the benefits.

There is a more detailed analysis of the issue re eggs and wounds on hoax slayer (I've added the link below....and they are very clear at the end about this
Spreading this false health information may cause people to use a burn first aid treatment that is not only ineffective, but may actually make the outcome of the treated burn injury even worse. If you receive this misleading message, please do not pass it on to others. And please let the sender know the claims in the message are inaccurate.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/eggs-burn-treatment.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I think we should leave this post in place for others to access the information and see why it shouldn't be used...and if you get things like this through your mail (and goodness knows there are plenty of them) ..firstly check with hoax slayer to check their validity ......they check things like this and publish their findings )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I put this post on in the chance it would help somebody and as OH Grandmother used to do the same things for burns. As it seems I've been condemned for putting this post on and its a hoax please will you delete it as I seem to be putting on wrong posts just lately.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's OK Maggie, I've just googled the first few lines and it's on literally hundreds of websites word by word.
Some of these more old wives tales are very good but I guess as technology has moved on, some not all, have been disproved or at least better solutions have been found.

I think the remark about wrong posts refers to two subject matters which in my opinion were posted in good faith by you but were current news subjects which I felt were not ones I'd like to have discussed on Forum.
I did pm you with the reasons why, in no way a ticking off fashion.

Burns Hoax

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Would it be a good idea to alter the thread title to say that it is an urban myth / hoax, in case people only read the first post.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Using Eggs for burns Hoax

Post by Richard »

Good idea Mo, I've done that.

You can see why I sometimes get paranoid about copying and pasting stuff from elsewhere into forum :-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome