best use of pallets

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
zedhead
Lively Laner

best use of pallets

Post by zedhead »

I know some of you like to make stuff from pallets but my mate and I spent an hour cutting em up again this after noon resulting in two bulk bags of warm house, now it has turned cold I have both stoves going and love my free heating the pallets work great combined with logs ..... I can't think of a better use for em. )t'
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: best use of pallets

Post by Richard »

Good for you zedhead, they certainly burn nice and slowly.

Some say you shouldn't use them, when I have, no problems at all

It's a very satisfying feeling isn't it.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ericonabike
Learner Laner

Post by ericonabike »

My woodburner has been fed nothing but pallets since we installed it in October 2011. Cost of fuel: zero. I've bought a circular saw for £30 and a bow saw for a tenner. It takes me on average an hour to produce a week's worth of fuel - seems a fair exchange. I also now have an in-depth knowledge of the industrial and business estates within a 5 mile radius of home - and where the richest pickings are! Ignore anyone who is critical - no-one give pallets away if they could re-use or sell them, so you're making use of a waste product.
Jonathan Ross says 'you're in for a Tweet if you follow @ericonabike'
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

A worthwhile hours work Eric.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Heating is a big expense, especially as you start to downsize (in my case retirement looms in the next few years) and so anything you can do to reduce winter bills is great in my book.
Michael
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Yep the pallets and free wood is great but don't get carried away with the fact that it is easy ,... You need space and storage for all your free wood, in our case with two stoves that means three wood stores and a front garden full of what my family call rubbish (or similar to that) BUT it is well worth it ... We only need one stove going tonight as it is mild down here.
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We've made a log store out of pallets. It actually looks really smart and if I knew where my camera was I would )piicy( . We had to buy the pallets - but reading this thread I now know that I need 5 more pallets to make a store into which we can put all the other pallets that we forage for and then turn into fuel. Ta for that! Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.