France for the day.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

France for the day.

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

Hello ,
Have any down the laners got any advice on the best way to go on a day trip to France.
That is taking our car from Dover to Calais, ( on a ferry) for a family of 5.
Thanks FM.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Re: France for the day.

Post by Homemade »

We go on the tunnel. Much quicker, easier to drive onto and you can buy the tickets with Tes&co vouchers.

We go early one morning ie leave uk 8 am stay one night in a formule 1 cheap hotel and come back the next day.

Remember most shops and garages close on Sundays except Calais in December.

Avoid the eurocity shopping at weekends in December it gets really busy.

Buy Wine )hic(
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

Thanks Homemade )t'
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Oh and the cool bit is when you drive up to the check in it recognises your numberplate and you just touch the screen to confirm who you are and it prints out your ticket.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
sooz
Learner Laner

Post by sooz »

We always pre-order wine & beer from Maj-estic in Calais. You don't pay until you collect and you can pay in £. It is very much cheaper than GB and if you pre-order enough, they will pay towards your ferry/train crossing. :-D
I'm not young enough to know everything.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I did a sort of day trip to France last week - only DD and I had a night in a hotel. We also use the tunnel as standing on the harbour at Bridlingto makes me feel queasy!

I would avoid City de europe like the plague. We use an Auchan just outside Boulogne - follow the signs for Boulogne and then follow the signs for the industrial centre. You go in under a rainbow bridge (not the one from the poem). Most of the staff speak a bit of English but it is a much more authentic experience

Fresh coffee - approx 6 euro per KILO; cheap wine; lovely fabric conditioner (Soupline) that is cheap and effective; olive oil (own brand) exceptional value and I've used nothing else for years. They have an instore bakery that is impossible to resist and bargain packs of bread, croissants, brioches etc. We spent about £250 each (DD and I) but have easily saved the cost of the travel and hotel as we went midweek.

Sorry - I'm banging on a bit but we love to do this.

Bea

PS If you want a cheap, friendly hotel try the Ibis near the cathedral. It's in old Boulogne (Vielle ville) - you don't want the one down near the docks.

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

Thank you Bea.
I appreciate that , very useful advice.
)t'
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

If you don't mind me asking .....
What would be the best time and way to book a space on the tunnel train.
We are based in Sussex ...
Thanks... FM >coc<