Car booting

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
saint-spoon

Car booting

Post by saint-spoon »

OK Laners, we are off for our very first car boot sale as stall holders tomorrow, any top-tips to maximise our profits and car boot sale experience?

I can honestly say that I have only ever been to a car boot sale teice in my life before anyway and once was as the bloke who had to open up the feild and close up afterwards; so I am pretty inexperienced. We have just been raiding our money boxes for as much change as we can muster, I reckon we have about thirty odd quid in silver.
Bah Humbug
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Re: Car booting

Post by sazchops »

Take a good supply of carrier bags.
I go to carboot sales quite often ( in laws have a food van on one )
What really annoys me is when you want to buy something or ask a question but the stall holder is too busy chatting to their pal.
Put the price on stuff, so they don't have to ask, but be willing to haggle.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Definitely agree about the carrier bags )t'

Also keep an eye on your stuff as you're unloading the car. Apart from the fact that every time we've been unloading we've been hassled by traders wanting to buy stuff in bulk, we've also lost shed loads of stuff while our backs were turned {warn}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

All I can add is take a bit of change. Be prepared to be surprised by the extent some folk will go to get something for nothing from you. I would say that if you are going to be there for five or six hours, have an idea as to what you want to charge - you can have signs of your stall saying this basket so much, otherwise you and Mrs s-s can decide as the morning progresses what to charge. After an hour or so you will get an idea what people are looking for, they may be interested in particular items and no one buying - they may come back later on (after mulling things over) and either pay the price you are asking or ask if you will accept a certain amount. At the end of the day you don't want to take a car load of stuff home so its a good idea to negotiate with people.

Yes, when you unload you will get people descend like vultures seeing what you have. I once got to the car boot, parked up locked car and walked away for 10 minutes so that the dealers would move on, because they are literally getting into your car to see what you have on offer. I found it un-nerving.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

This is how I used to do them Spoony.

http://www.downthelane.net/bootfairs.php

Just guard your Boot Door when you arrive, the early risers swoop in and usually try boarding your car !!

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Some great tips for the 1st time car booter, I have done one or two and agree that as soon as you start setting out you stall it can be sometimes overwhelming the attention you get from a lot of people all trying to grab the best bits cheap, and that you may have three or four questions to deal with at once. Have a rough idea price wise what is accetable for the best/quality items so that you dont get caught on the hop so to speak. Dont sell too cheap initially (although you will be expected to haggle), you can always drop prices as the day unfolds if need be. Good luck and hope you make a mint. )t'
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Sara

Post by Sara »

Good luck {hug}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Well it was an experience if nothing else, and there were some positives such as offloading a buggy to a girl who had been after one for her son and was chuffed that she had found one at such a good price. The baby bouncy chair went to a similarly grateful family. It was the something for nothing brigade that annoyed me... why would anyone want to haggle down from 50p for a perfectly fine child's toy? 50p is less than a chocolate bar or bag of crisps. I had one bloke demand his money back on a set of car roof bars because one of the rubber bits was missing; I am not entirely sure what he expected for two quid, perchance I should have encrusted them with diamonds and fitted them to a prestige automobile for him first. I am not sure what the going rate is for second hand hardback books but I thought 50p each or a pound for a series of three a reasonable price...apparently not. Anyway I know I wasn't out to make a living and it was more about getting a few bob for stuff that I no longer wanted but I would rather set fire to it than haggle down from 50p. The charity shop will he getting a lot of unsold stuff soon. I'll give you thirty... why are you haggling over 20p for something that is already less than a can of soft drink and would cost you the best part of 20 quid new? {mr.angry}
You were right about the attack from the. Traders when we arrived. They got a swift rebuff. {mr.angry}
Bah Humbug
Sara

Post by Sara »

So you had fun then SS ? {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have only ventured to them a couple of times to sell stuff and never to buy.
Quite an education isn't it yike*
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

You do get some characters there… dare I say that one or two of them could have done with having a wash… this week or even this month. I still find myself somewhat incredulous that someone would demand their money back from a set of automotive roof bars that they had just purchased for two quid; surely sold as seen comes into effect at a car boot? Or am I compelled to offer a guarantee that it is all in working order? Anyway I sold them and hour or so later for two fifty.
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

I don't think, a lot would understand 'sold as seen'
Your gain, their loss )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Happy you got through the ordeal SS :-D . I visit a local boot sale on a weekly basis mostly as a buyer, and I dont think a week goes by without either me or the missus overhearing how rude some of the public are when asking the price of things, sure we haggle its part of the fun but we do so in a definate polite way and over the years we have been reasonably succesfull in purchasing a bargain or two. But on the other hand we have seen our fair share of ignorant buyers been told where to go so too speak. So the big question SS, is when your next bootsale taking place? :-D :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I did a few with my sister to clear the house and we made stacks of cash but I did have lots of stuff to get rid of.

I lost my temper an told the pushy vultures if they didn't back off and let me set up I would start banging heads together and nobody dared enter the car. The vultures that were polite got the best bargains.

If anyone was too cocky about haggling then I told them the price would go up in 30 seconds.

Tip if you smile while being rude people assume you are joking and will laugh along with you
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Great fun isn't it.......not !!!

My next door neighbour goes to them to buy stuff, she gets home and within an hour everything she's brought is on ebay.

Too much effort for me nowadays!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome