to carboot or not

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

to carboot or not

Post by mellonia »

Hi All

I have a lot of clothes especially the kids, and bits and bobs, and i need the cash. But my oh and i both work and a both have enough energy to our household jobs and food shop on a weekend. So to give up a precious sunday carbooting for very little last time in 2007 i ended up with £40 for 4 hours.

Please can you give me some advice, wether to take all to charity which it does look likely or some cash for me and my family.

oh and i am trying to talk my self out it,as don't want to but dont want to give it away for nothing. I have previously given lots of stuff to charity.

Advice please

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
kaymay01
Lively Laner

car booty

Post by kaymay01 »

Hi
why dont you put the lot on e-bay ?
either as single items or as a job lot,for someone else to sell at a car boot sale?
If you search on e-bay you will find people selling lots of odds and ends as car booty.
wendy

Post by wendy »

We have done car boot sales. My OH loves them.
We have a rule if we haven't used it or worn it for 18 months it goes. You can get a decent amount of money.
I also have sold stuff on ebay but not clothes. OH only buys them from there LOL
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have some stuff I need to take to a car boot sale, but every Sunday I look out of the window and think, it's too cold, too wet, or too windy. If I went people would be picking over my belongings, offering me peanuts, they would look down their noses at me and think I was poor, if I wanted a comfort break I couldn't because I would be on my own. Always an excuse.

I've had stuff packed away for sometime intending to go, the other day I found myself looking through it and thinking, 'that might come in usefull,' :-D Now I am finding my own junk interesting.

Ilona
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Thanks all for the advice, i might see what this sunday brings, but like you Ilona the last 3 sundays when i was off work it was raining. I know that people want it for peanuts and also try nicking it.

Will let you know still undecided i don't really want to do one i hate them but really need the cash, whats left will go to charity. Plus i do think charity shop are expensive, if you were on benefit or working poor which there a lot of people. i think you would need to go to a carboot and not a charity shop if you were really strapped.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I know what you mean... I hate car boot sales also. :?

Having said that we DO do a car booter every couple of years (when we've accumulated enough stuff to make it worthwhile)

The kids sell their old toys etc and use the profits to buy more plastic cr*p that will clutter up the house only to go in the next car boot sale!) )j;

I also think it's a good way of recycling unwanted stuff. Better than sticking it in landfill when it's still got a use for someone. :-D

Lucy X
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

This thread has just reminded me. A few years ago shops were springing up that sold your unwanted (i.e. good quality/hardly worn/designer clothes. In return for the shop selling your clothes they would keep a 10-20% commission. Do you still get this type of shop?

If not I wonder why not? )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have heard of some second hand posh frock shops that do that, but not for the run of the mill stuff. Mother of the bride, evening wear, and that kind of thing.

Ilona
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

i agree mellonia charity shops can be quite expencive i find a.s.d.a cheaper and p.r.i.m.a.k. but we dont have either in bath so i go to swindon or bristol.

jo x
pinkypullet
Learner Laner

Post by pinkypullet »

After having a good old 'sort out', I have done a few carboots in the past, and also E-Bayed. Have to say, I am a bit of an E-Bay Queen now!

If you carboot, people will offer you less than you ask, and I have done myself, that's part of the fun of it, getting a bargain.

BUT, on E-Bay they offer you MORE!!! )t'

If I have anything left over (quite often, as some people obviously haven't got such good taste as myself!!!!), then it goes to the charity shop, and then I don't feel quite so cheeky ((w offering less than on the label.

I only do this if the item is faulty ie: a mark on it or loose stitch. I would offer less in any other shop if the item I wanted wasn't up to standard, so why not anywhere else? :)
julie2
Legendary Laner

Post by julie2 »

My friend sells every thing she does'nt want on E-Bay. She once sold a womans plain t-shirt for 5 pounds, even though she put that it was in a pack of 2 for 3 pounds, from tesco!! She told her friend about it and her friend said it was because a lot of people dont have much time for shopping.
chickens rock!!!
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I was in a charity shop the other day looking for milk jugs ( i love them) i saw a P.R.E.M.A.R.K T SHIRT )ot:

It was more exspensive that the original price! How stupid is that! :shock:
i love car boots but i cant go in bad weather!

My mum used to love going to the charity shops, but now for some reason they are getting to pricey!

stace (f+
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I do a car boot about once every two years, usually don't make much, but last time my friend told me we overvalue our stuff, just put silly low prices and you will sell more, she was right, I sold nearly everything for peanuts and made the most money ever! (And even selling books for 20p was better for me than giving it to the charity shops, quite agree their prices are getting ridiculous!)

I actually quite like doing it, (apart from getting up at 6 to get a pitch), it's nice to chat to people, sit in the car with a flask of hot chocolate, and I often see friends at car boots that I don't normally meet!