DIY facial scrub

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Willow
Legendary Laner

DIY facial scrub

Post by Willow »

With zero money to spare I've been cutting back on all 'un essentials' including facial scrubs.
This morning I decided to try an idea I'd seen in some article somewhere and it works just as well as any facial scrub I've ever bought!

Take one teaspoon of sugar and a tiny glug of oil (I used olive oil, but apperently any vegetable oil will do) mix together quickly and apply to skin & rub...

My skin feels refreshed and soft & at practically no cost! )t' )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
wendy

Re: DIY facial scrub

Post by wendy »

I'm gonna have a go )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Sara

Post by Sara »

That sounds easy enough.... Will give it a go too, Thanks Willow {hug}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Let me know what you think Wendy & Sara .. :-D
I was really chuffed, the good thing is that you can make it as abrasive (or not) as you'd like by using granulated or castor sugar & I suppose by putting more or less sugar into the mix..
I thought it would be sticky but not at all.. just left me with clean soft skin..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Sara

Post by Sara »

Ive heard of facial scrubs using sea salt and olive oil before, but ive always steered clear as to my mind salt dehydrates (when we eat salt , it makes us thirsty?) so as i dont want to dry my skin out ive never really fancied trying it but with sugar it sounds interesting.... >fi<

Does sugar make you thirsty? >coc<
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I saw the salt one too but wasn't too sure about it... I think the oil stops the sugar dissolving and softens the skin.. I washed it off with a flannel & warm water & then splashed cold water onto my face & moisurised as usual.

I've tried a honey face masque before now and that was really good....

Albert Einstein
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I use a cheapie facial scrub made with Aloe Vera, and what feels like grit, from one of the cheapie shops, costs a pound.

On Friday I bought a face mask, 89p, haven't tried it yet.

Years ago, I used to use live yeast, normally had some in during my break making years.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I'm gonna try this!
Do you think it would be okay to mix up quite a bit and keep in a tub?
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Hi Lisab, I honestly dont know how well it would keep - could the sugar start disolving? Mixing is so quick & simple that I think I'll just make it as i need it. :-D

Albert Einstein
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I just like to have a tub in the bathroom, just because I know I'd forget to make it so saves me going up and down the stairs. I might try it anyway and see how well it keeps :)
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I use StIves one, and usually manage to buy when it is on offer, but when I was in my 20's and facial scrubs weren't around, I used to use toothpaste as a scrub. A cheap one from Quidland would work, and the mint makes your skin tingly and fresh-feeling.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh thanks Willow, think I'll try as well )t' :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

willow this works really well ive used it on my hands today as they were scruffy and felt rough from cleaning out the hens and it did leave them lovely and soft ,afterwards i rubbed a bit of the oil into my nails and cuticles aswell )t'
i will be having a spray tan next week and will use this as an allover exfoliator for 3 days prior will let you know how it goes )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

aceface wrote:willow this works really well ive used it on my hands today as they were scruffy and felt rough from cleaning out the hens and it did leave them lovely and soft ,afterwards i rubbed a bit of the oil into my nails and cuticles aswell )t'
i will be having a spray tan next week and will use this as an allover exfoliator for 3 days prior will let you know how it goes )t'

Great Aceface )t'
I mentioned this 'exfoliator' to my other half the other day and he informed me that when he was a young trainee in the building trade many many moons ago, they were told to use sugar as a scrub to clean their hands.... doubt if they used it with olive oil though..

Albert Einstein
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

It was also in The Bodyshop Book years ago as a handy hint from Anita Roddick if you were ever away from home on holiday or for work without your usual product.You're in good company, girls!