Cooking oil reuse

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Cooking oil reuse

Post by amatureleccy »

My family seems to generate an awful lot of cooking oil waste. I wondering how I could go about making use of this. I am thinking of using to power a small lamp or heater.

Lighting in some vessel and using the heat to provide gentle warmth for my chickens in their coop. Nothing to sophisticated or demanding, I am not trying drive a car or use it to power a rocket to the moon. Just use lit like one of the old parfin oil lamps.

Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
silky
Longlasting Laner

Re: Cooking oil reuse

Post by silky »

great idea, I'll have a think about that.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Sorry to pour water on your fire, but I wouldn't put anything with a flame in the coop, they might knock it and go up and burn yike*
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Post by amatureleccy »

Glad you raised that point because it gives me the opportunity to expand on the idea.

In my mind I am seeing a device outside the coop and at a safe distance. The device would have a flame which would heat air in a pipe or a metal bar, that would then be fed into the coop to give up its heat.

It's a poor picture but I hope it gives people something to go on.

Come on let's get creative.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Is your coop very large for the number of hens that you keep a.leccy ? It's not normally a requirement to add extra heat even in the coldest of winter nights , they have amazing capability for keeping themselves cosy, I would worry in case extra heat could be to their detriment. If they have plenty of bedding to nestle down in if necessary they should be fine honestly.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

Annie wrote:Is your coop very large for the number of hens that you keep a.leccy ? It's not normally a requirement to add extra heat even in the coldest of winter nights , they have amazing capability for keeping themselves cosy, I would worry in case extra heat could be to their detriment. If they have plenty of bedding to nestle down in if necessary they should be fine honestly.

Very true, I was thinking of having something in my greenhouse as the girls use it to have a dust bath; as it is nice and dry, but at this time of year a small heating device would stop their water freezing over night.