Eileen's Frugal February

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Eileen's Frugal February

Post by grandmaeileen »

We started a frugal type of quest a few months ago by doing what Martin Lewis suggested on his money saver site.

We sat down and listed all of the direct debits and looked at what income is coming in and how we could change things.

We switched bank accounts - found one that offers £100 to change to them, they also do a credit card that pays £5 a month for spending so much and we use this for our "main shop". It stops us from going into the overdraft and paying bank charges as we clear card amount every month.

We changed companies as when house and car insurance came up for renewal, yet again we found one that offered cash back.

We always make a shopping list, it's on fridge door and as we use something and it needs replacing, it goes on list and we're pretty good at keeping to it.

We opened the fire in the back room which is next to the kitchen, and we have an open fire now which is lovely and our gas bill has more than halved! The oven is on a lot as we like to cook and Keith makes our bread, the rads in the other rooms are turned off or way down.

Get used to clearing the freezer occasionally, and using up left overs.

We're saving quite a bit per month now and as I don't work and Keith is on a pension, every penny counts, the other thing we use is cash back sites such as Quidco and Top Cash back, which are a good source of extra cash.

We have sold on Ebay but not very often, good luck peeps with your frugal ideas x
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Eileen's Frugal February

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

good luck Eileen )t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Your plan sounds good, Good luck )t'
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Hi Eileen. I have "filched" one of your ideas to use myself. I too will put a shopping list on the front of the fridge to jot down what I really need. Good idea!!
Linda Pattison
Lively Laner

Post by Linda Pattison »

I find shopping lists are vital, esp when various places are offering good deals- we keep track, but avoid travelling to eveery place, we choose the one that suits our needs that week. And not going so often forces us to use up food to avois waste.
One of your fb DTL admins with Manda Powdrill and Christy Poole.
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

My daughter had stuck a peice of paper to the fridge when I got home the other day so we can note down things as they run out,I always make a shopping list but I quite often forget what has actually run out simply because its not there for me to see, so this should make me more organised
manda

Post by manda »

I have a "master shopping list" I made up on excel (Yes I know I need to get out more!!!..hey I work nights!!). It sits on the wall of the pantry and if anyone uses anything they tick it or they write it on the side....it's not fool proof but it does help and when I'm going shopping I can quickly flick around and check things so I don't forget them.
(This is 2 shopping lists on one piece of paper)
The other thing I do is it is in the order of the shop..and if they change the order of things I change the list so I don't get distracted.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny