Mandy's Frugal Feb

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Essex Bird
Lively Laner

Mandy's Frugal Feb

Post by Essex Bird »

Hi, well so far, I've made a large batch of caramelised onion chutney, hopefully enough to last at least 6 months, fresh garlic butter with leftover gone off double cream that ive slowly been collecting each week, cheese is being made as we speak with leftover milk, and i just made some coleslaw rather than buying, hubby is on a diet.
only just taken down Xmas cards, yes I know but i don't believe in the bad luck thing, cut the front of the cards off, trim and hole punch for give tags for next Xmas. have accepted unwanted pine cones etc from waist-full friends for my decs next year.
and last but not least, today i dug over the veggie patches with help from the girlies and sowed the parsnips.
will defo clear out the cupboards and use up the beans, lots of dry beans and peas packets, will get about making a large batch of houmous :-D
Oh almost forgot, please don't freak out but ive gone NO POO! no shampoo that is, its been 3 weeks now, not to save money pursey but im allergic to SLS and had a massive flair up of dermatitis in my scalp since i last had my hair coloured, ive tried before and given up at week 2 but this time its 3 weeks, i will persist. supposed to be soooo good for your hair and scalp and once the scalp re-balances hair is soft shiny and grease free. Using bicarb and vinegar rinse.
p.s have hair done free in salon that I also work in doing nails, just pay for the cost of the tube colour.
Mandy
x
live long and prosper
ey ey ya yeye ey i killed my mother.... la la la la la la la lalala gringo
http://mandysgarden.blogspot.com
Essex Bird
Lively Laner

Re: Mandy's Frugal Feb

Post by Essex Bird »

was feeling pekish and went to fridge to find a huge container of homemade rice pudding i made yesterday in the slow cooker, forgot to put that on list.
Mandy
x
live long and prosper
Essex Bird
Lively Laner

Post by Essex Bird »

something i always do is: collect any veg peelings including onion garlic peel and bones etc inside a bag in the freezer, whenever i have enough to fill my large stock pot i pour over boiling water and boil for about an hour, then strain, there you have the best stock for soups or gravies or sauces.
also i save the bread ends in the freezer, when i have enough they either become breadcrumbs or bread pudding, yum.
and lastly i save any fruit peelings and cores, put into pot, cover with boiling water, boil for an hour then strain saving water, for every 650g add 450 sugar and follow jam method to make jelly. Pam Corbins compost heap jelly recipe. delicious
want not waste not.
God what have i turned into, worse than my grandparents lol
Mandy
x
live long and prosper
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

OMGoodness Mandy, you are so organised and your use of everything is amazing, where do you find the time. Is Pam Corbin something to do with River Cottage or am I barking up the wrong tree.
manda

Post by manda »

Great going Mandy...hey our grandparents couldn't have been so wrong...I don't think the economy was in as poor a state when they were around so maybe those of us who think like this and live within our means ..and if possible well within our means will be the ones who don't struggle in this global mess.

How's the cheese going ...which one are you making now?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Essex Bird
Lively Laner

Post by Essex Bird »

Mrs noodles yes that's from river cottage.
manda, trying another cheddar, going to mature for longer like you suggested, want to see if tang matures out.
I do these things because I love everything natural and homemade if possible, can't believe I used to be so wasteful
Mandy
x
live long and prosper
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I'm really impressed, Mandy, and think you've raised the bar a bit there! It is true, isn't it, that if you can do all of these thing then even on a budget you live better than other people do with lots of money. And why not the compost heap jam? Surely niceness should be the measure and not extravagance of ingredients? As I said, impressed )b( )b(