Ilona's frugal 2014

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Ilona's frugal 2014

Post by Meanqueen »

Yes I did go shopping to the BIG T on Thursday night. Got a few more yellow stickers, and made it up to £20 with some regular Value items for the cupboard, so I could use the £3 off voucher.

I was in town on Friday and popped in the big Sainzberries, needed to get some food for the rescue cat. I even found some yellow stickers while I was there. I hate paying full price {rofwl} Foodwise I am pretty well stocked up for a while. Shouldn't be anything to buy this week.

I have bath water for flushing the toilet, so a saving there.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I went to get a free NHS health check today, it was advertised in the Council newspaper. They weighed me, measured my height and waist, then checked the computer and saw that I last had a test in September 2011. Sorry, they said, we can't do a full check because it's just over two years since you had one. It seems you can only get checked every five years. I was so disappointed. {cry} I went in a charity shop and spent £2.50 instead, so it wasn't a wasted journey. :-D
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Good morning. More money saving at the new Mr T Express, yesterday. I was a bit too early at 4pm, for the 90% off, 5pm seems to be the best time. Still a good saving though, £10.46 worth for £2.58. Broccoli at 45p, Copella apple juice for 32p, little gem lettuce 43p, carrots 21p, and French cheese 19p. I won't need to go to the big Mr T this week, I can stretch what I have until the middle of next week. Might need to top up with eggs and yogurt at some point.

I don't normally eat broccoli stalks, they seem tough and woody to me, but I thought I would give it a try and make some soup. I chopped one large stalk into small pieces, with four small carrots, and the tops of some spring onions. I added some garlic powder and a shake of black pepper. I don't keep stacks of spice jars in my cupboard, they are too expensive to buy, and I don't eat much spicy food so they would be lying around for years. Instead I buy packets of sauce mix, usually for 20p from the discount stores, and use a small amount of these in my cooking, just to give it a bit of flavour, one teaspoon is enough.
It was very tasty, possibly a bit to much pepper, will adjust that next time. Home made soup beats tinned soup, and it can be very cheap to make.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

My first visit of the year to a car boot sale, on Sunday. I don't go every week because it's easy to pick up stuff that you don't really need, they can be a bit addictive. I was looking for some colourful small beads for crafting purposes. Managed to find a few necklaces for 50p each. I spotted a pair of garden shears for £2 and tested them on a hedge behind the stall holder. They were sharp, much better than the ones I already have which have fallen to bits. My mistake for buying cheap and crappy. I will buy second hand and better quality from now on. Also found a leather bag for £2. My friend will love it as it's got cats on.

Still munching through the broccoli that I bought reduced last week.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Blimey, it's almost a week since I posted on here. Time flies. I seem to be living on yellow sticker food, every time I pop in somewhere I find something else reduced. Still munching my way through loads of broccoli and carrots, now I have bags of sprouts found in Sainsbobs. They keep for a long time after their sell by date, still two bags left to eat next week. I won't need to go shopping at all for at least 7 or 8 days. It's easy to get carried away with stockpiling if you are not careful, I like to run it down every so often.

I was a bit naughty and bought some reduced donuts and egg custards. Not good for my insides at all, felt all stuffed up. I am back on the fruit now, reduced pears, only 9p a bag, and cheap grapes. Usually buy bananas, but didn't this week, will eat the pears instead.

My nephew is supposed to be sending me some veg seeds, as he has more than enough. Hope they come soon as I want to get on with sowing them.

I haven't had the heating on hardly at all, my gas bill is going to be super low when it comes.

I had a day out walking on Thursday, 14.25 miles. Took a pack up and drinks, didn't spend any money. A free day out apart from the petrol for a 25 mile round trip.

Been a bit naughty this morning, I thought I would do something daft, I bought a real newspaper. Well I can afford it. It was a toss up between the Telegraph or the Guardian. The Telegraph won because it is 50p cheaper, and a lot heavier so more to read. This paper will last me two weeks. I won't be buying one again. Don't have time to sit around reading newspapers.
Toodle pip.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I read the paper online. The ink doesn't come off on my hands.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

The new Council Tax bill has arrived, a slight increase on last year. If anyone is on a low income, are you getting all the discounts you are entitled to? I have an elderly friend who pays a heck of a lot more than me. She is a widow, owns a nice bungalow, and I would guess is not short of money. Sometimes I am glad I haven't got any savings.

I am still eating the reduced price sprouts I bought last week, just steamed the last bag tonight and added them to a partially eaten stew to stretch it a bit further. I am hoping to pick up some more yellow stickers tomorrow when I go to the small Mr T.

Paid the credit card bill today, in full as I always do. Only £59, for petrol, and one shop at the big Mr T.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I did go to the small Mr T on Thursday, as I was already in the village it made sense to time my visit to 5pm. Not a big haul but enough to keep me going, added to what I already have. Two packs of celery hearts 12p each. Black seedless grapes, half price at £1. Spring onions 12p. Yogurt 15p. I also picked up five jars of Value peanut butter, 62p each. I had run out and I really like this one. Total shop £4.80.

We have a small retail park not far away, it's handy for a few things, and they have discount stores. Yesterday I paid a visit. There is an outdoor fruit and veg market stall, I was all set to buy a huge net of carrots, but when I looked closely at them I decided not to bother. They were advertised as 'mucky carrots', but they were more like bendy, scabby, end of useful life only fit for ponies, carrots.

I went to the shop that Stretches Pounds. Sugar 69p, that's the cheapest I've seen it. One bag lasts me ages, I only use it in coffee, one teaspoon per one mug a day. I stocked up on cat litter, though the cats are starting to go outside a bit more now. I have an oldie who does most of his pees and poops in a box. A 10 kg bag of Bob Martin clumping litter is 99p. The six bags I bought added to the three I already have will see me through most of the summer as the cats go out more and more. I bought a 500 grm pack of Coffee Mate for £2.19. One spoon of this in my coffee in the morning and it will last ages.

I popped in The Range to look for any cat food on offer. Occasionally they have a bargain but not very often. Nothing found. I browsed through the garden section, and found a reduced trolley of half dead plants, and picked out four conifers at half price, for £3. I will re pot these into bigger pots. I like to have a few in pots so that I can re plant them into the garden at a later date when a gap needs to be filled. Two years ago I took cuttings from my own conifers, they take ages to grow.

I had a walking day out on Thursday, paid the toll on the Humber Bridge, (£1.50 each way) and went to Beverley. Walked 16.65 miles, took food with me, and put £10's worth of petrol in the car. I need to fill up soon, but I only do that at the big Mr T, and use my card to get the points. Don't like paying with a card at other garages, paranoid about security.

Yesterday I came across a house being cleared out, they had a skip on the driveway. They started this job a few months ago when the house became empty, now it has to be cleared because it has been sold. They very kindly let me take what I wanted. Some of it I will keep for myself, but the majority will be sold to make funds for our cat rescue. Some will be given away to friends and family, and the rest I will take to a charity shop. I got out as much as I could, but some of it had been buried under larger items. It was absolutely tragic to see perfectly good stuff tossed into a bin. I wish I had been there at the beginning, I could have salvaged a lot more. I think to throw things away which someone else could use is as bad as throwing food away.

I am now going to spend an hour or two in the kitchen cleaning up what there is ready for selling. Some of it is boxed and brand new, never been used. All just tossed in the skip.
Enjoy your Sunday. Toodle pip
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I agree that throwing good stuff away is just tragic - and if still new, that's even worse. I rescued a few dishes (more ornamental than usable) and one day I will get round to selling them although some of them look too pretty to part with. This is one of them (has a hallmark on the back too):

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

The plate is lovely, LL. Worth keeping.

Another visit to the small Mr T shop yesterday, I hit gold with the yellow stickers, £16.88 worth of food for £2.93. Five packs of prepared vegetables 20p each. Two bags spinach 21p each. Grapes 56p. 2.5k potatoes 95p. I am now going to make up the vegetables into curries and stews, and freeze it in margarine tubs, so I have ready meals for when I don't have time to cook.

I am doing an experiment for the next three months, trying to eat mostly food which has been marked down on it's last sell by date. I want to see how much I can save by planning my meals around what I can find in the reduced section of the chiller cabinet, the fruit and veg department, and the bread aisle. I will have to buy other food as well, I won't be recording this, but I eat a lot of Value and Basics, so overall my food bill should be quite low. I realize not everyone has access to supermarket reductions, so my findings will not be of much help to someone who lives in the Outer Hebrides. But if anyone passes a supermarket at around 7.30 pm. it's worth calling in to have a look.

My free seeds have arrived from my nephew, so let the planting begin.
Catch you later, Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We live about thirteen miles from Beverley, Ilona. So if you come over the Humber Bridge again, do let me know. We were actually in Sheffield and Huddersfield on Thursday, but perhaps another time.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Spreckly wrote:We live about thirteen miles from Beverley, Ilona. So if you come over the Humber Bridge again, do let me know. We were actually in Sheffield and Huddersfield on Thursday, but perhaps another time.

Yes, will do. Shame I missed you on Thursday. I have walked a lot of the paths around the Beverley area, but there might be some I haven't so there will be another trip over the bridge at some point.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I went a walk today, only 11 miles as the weather wasn't too good. Windy and raining. Took a pack up, but treated myself to a Magnum £1.75. I love them.

Called in at Mr T, on the way home, found some yellow stickers. Bread, I needed some, eggs, cucumber, scones, potato cakes, and mushrooms. Spent £2.94, real price £5.74.

I put £10's worth of petrol in the car, I only had £10 on me and the gauge was hovering on low. I am getting fed up of putting the odd £10's worth in and always running below a quarter full. I will fill it up next time I go to the big Mr T.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I am a yellow sticker addict, and I need help :oops:
Coming back from a day out yesterday, I called in at the big Mr T at the end of the motorway. Couldn't resist a quick peek to see if there was anything reduced at 8.30pm. Yep, a few bits left in the salad and veg department. £1.18 spent on mangetout peas, watercress, carrots, celery, salad, fruit, and cake bars. )eat( £2 spent on chicken pieces for the cats. )b(

My fridge is full, today I will make up another pan of curried veg stew for the freezer, and carefully monitor what food I have and make sure I eat it in strict rotation, checking daily, even hourly, so that I use it all up.

I filled the car up with petrol yesterday before my trip down the motorway, £43.22. I got fed up of putting £10's worth in and having to keep topping up.

I am sending my gas and electricity meter readings by email to Ebico now, so they can monitor my usage. I am not sure when the first bill will arrive, should be anytime soon. They may send someone to read the meters, or they may ask me to send them, by emailing them at regular intervals a pattern will emerge.

A day in the garden today, sowing some seeds. Have a nice Sunday.
Toodle pip. Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Good morning. The frugal lifestyle continues, I don't really need much to have a good life. I am thinking about holidays and my fund for that is building up nicely.

Yesterday I called in at the small Mr T as I was in the area helping my friend with her garden. Not much on offer in the reduced section, and some of it wasn't cheap enough for me. I did manage to get four bags of prepared vegetables, broccoli, baby sweetcorn and carrots, 16p per bag. As there was an offer on of buy 2 get 1 free, I paid 48p for the four bags. I read in the papers that we are supposed to be eating seven helpings of fruit and veg, not the five as previously recommended. I am getting my share.

I need to go to town today as I am running out of a few things, mainly cat and dog related, also bananas, eggs, and bran flakes for me are needed. I might get some cheese as well, though I have been cutting back on that, it's too addictive.

The RAC annual DD is due to come out of the bank this month, and today I shall go to the Post Office and pay my first installment of the Council Tax. I prefer to pay in cash over the counter.

The beans and peas are sown in pots, and the spuds are in the raised beds. All we need now is some warmth to get them going.
Bye for now.
Ilona