Avoiding False Economies.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Avoiding False Economies.

Post by Babycakes »

I was wondering, has anyone got any tips on avoiding false economies??
For example - I'm always getting told off for using too much washing up liquid, so I invested in a washing-up brush sponge thing that has a hollow handle, you fill it up with liquid and it dispenses it a tiny bit at a time straight into the sponge Result!! Consumption of faerie liquid dramatically reduced. Then I thought, I'll just buy the cheap stuff, not faerie. Bad idea - it was so thin it ran out of the spongy thing like water, ended up buying 3 or 4 times more!!
Also - cheap kitchen roll. Dont bother, buy a 4-pack of traditional string discloths for £1 and rinse them out after you wipe something!! (not doing too well persuading him indoors/the skids about this one)
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Babycakes, I have just replaced my wash up liquid, I had a bottle of the better quality stuff and it lasted over a year :shock: That's because....I am single and don't have so many dishes, I make a meal using the very minimum pots and pans. For instance I am eating my lunchtime salad and sandwich and I will use the same plate later for my dinner, it doesn't need washing because there is only a few crumbs on it. I save up my pots to wash, in the corner of the worktop and do them when I have a lot, all in one go in one bowl of hot water. I am on a water meter. If you use rubber gloves you can have the water fairly hot and so need less liquid. I also try not to cook greasy food because you need more liquid to wash up. I leave my pots to drain because there is hardly any wash up liquid residue on them, so I don't get through many teatowels.

My new wash up liquid is a cheaper one, and I have noticed that the soap soon disappears, I expect it not to last quite as long as the last one. However, when I add it to the water I do not squirt, I let it dribble in the bowl, I almost count the drops, no more than a teaspoon full. I think your hollow wash up brush is false economy, you can't regulate the amount of liquid you use. Somebody invented that gadget to make money, as with a lot of kitchen gadgets you don't actually need.

I don't like string dishcloths, I buy a packet of 6 face cloths, usually for £1, they last ages and you can put them in the washer. When they have finished their useful life in the kitchen they get relegated to mucky jobs, washing paintwork and floors etc. I do have a roll of paper towel but I hardly use it at all, except for tearing a piece off and putting it in my pocket for a hanky, I don't buy tissues.

I appreciate that my methods would not suit a family, when my sister came to help me out she got through the wash up liquid like nobodys business, I was shocked. She made me scarmbled eggs on toast and beat up the eggs in a jug before transferring it to the pan, I said, why didn't you beat them up in the pan with a wooden spoon, makes sense to me. No wonder I live on my own, can't see anyone putting up with me :-D )j;

Ilona
(f+
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm not quite as frugal as you Meanqueen, but my washing up is not as frequent as it should be, mainly because I have a dishwasher and I let stuff build up to fill it. Luckily I'm not on a water meter so things like dishes which have baked on stuff (like from a lasagne) don't get soaked immediately. I leave it until it looks dire and rock hard, then fill up with water (cold) and just a drop of washing up liquid - a couple of hours later, it just sloughs off with minimum of effort )t'

Have to say my coffee mug can look like something that should have a biohazard sign slapped on it - it doesn't get washed until I load the dishwasher.
ged
Lively Laner

false economies......

Post by ged »

:-D :)
Hi,
We had no central heating when I was a lad.Even in the coldest of those 50's winters,it wasamazing to see how often a polo mint went 'round 5 of us!
atb
ged )de: )t'
Seriously though,My Dear Mothers 2 brothers were coal men and we had a plentiful supply of coal to keep the fires stoked up!
atb again
ged 8)
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Meanqueen, I know what you mean about the washing up brush being a false economy for most, however, I think I'm the one single person on the planet it actually saves money LoL
It seems to be genetically programmed into me to use too much washing up liquid/shampoo/bubble bath - no matter how hard I try I cannot stop being very heavy-handed with it. Only thing I can cut back drastically on is washing powder - mainly because Grace wears cloth nappies and I know too much powder will cause a build up on them.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Ha ha Lancs lass, I almost didn't like to admit that I used my coffee mug several times before I washed it, :oops: you've made me feel a bit better about that.

Babycakes, what about looking around for one of those spirit dispensers that they have in pubs, and fill it with wash up liquid, and put one measure in a cup, or a double if you have greasy pots. :-D

Ilona
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

A cup is just not worth washing unless it has had at least half a dozen brews in it :)
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Babycakes wrote:A cup is just not worth washing unless it has had at least half a dozen brews in it :)

)t'

I have noticed that I don't seem to get as many tummy bugs like everyone else - I put it down to building up a natural immunity :shock:
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Lancashire Lass - why is your location Nottingham?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

kateg wrote:Lancashire Lass - why is your location Nottingham?

Short version - I'm originally from Bolton :-D

Despite growing up abroad and working in London & now living in Nottingham, I've always been a Lancashire Lass at heart. )t'
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Bit like hubby is a Yorkshireman even though he left Hull age 7 and moved to Radcliffe and has lived here ever since :-D I was born in Leicester and moved around the county with parents till I left hom at 21 and have lived in Notts ever since. But I don't feel at all nostalgic about Leicester - well how culd you, boring place :-D :-D
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Just thought I'd report about a pair of work boots I bought from our local market, a reputable stall holder, been there years. I needed steel toe caps and saw some for £18, looked up to the job, and comfy to accommodate my bunions. Six months into wearing them, not every day, the heels started wearing down to reveal a rather flimsy outer covering made to look like it is solid. A couple of months later the heels have completely disintegrated, the insides looks like they are made of sponge. I won't be falling for that again. The boots I got from the car boot sale for £4 are a much better quality.

Ilona
Last edited by Meanqueen on 21 Oct 2008, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

OMG if only my boys could make a pair of shoes last 6 months I would be well pleased :shock: Mine last longer cos I don't wear the same pair every day but I would still think £18 for 6 months for work boots was OK :-D I am just not frugal enough am I confused>
Badger_Lady
Lively Laner

Post by Badger_Lady »

Er... my maid does the washing up :oops:
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I have another one - cheap flippin binliners. Have had to double bag everything and am stinky from them splitting all over me )de: