Interest rate cut

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Evie
Lively Laner

Interest rate cut

Post by Evie »

to its lowest for nearly 50 years.
This is good news if the mortgage companies cut theirs.
What will mean for you??
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

If it gets passed on by the bank???? then all of us with a mortgage should benefit )t'
Tiddles
Learner Laner

Post by Tiddles »

It's good news for us, because we have a tracker mortgage - rather a big one though, so perhaps it will help us to pay it off faster, if we can be frugal enough!
wendy

Post by wendy »

No mortage so what savings we have, we will get less interest on.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I am hoping they stay low. We have a cunning plan - our new property manager is an independant financial advisor as well, he is going to see if he can get us a mortgage after christmas, then reccomend to the landlord that he sell to us - then I can get chickens )c(
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Good luck babycakes )t'
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

yes, was very chuffed with the cut - our mortgage stiplates they are to be a maximum of 0.9% above base rate, so happy days!!

Our savings will suffer, but hey ho - here's to the mortgage!!!! )t'
Last edited by morph on 06 Nov 2008, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Small steps lead to big changes
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I wouldn't celebrate just yet - it doesn't look like mortgage lenders are going to pass on this cut )de:
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have a small mortgage, no savings apart from an emergency fund, so all my money is in my house. Hope my mortgage goes down, then I will have a bit extra to spend on treats.

Ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

My fixed rate deal ends in December/January so I think it is only fair to say that I have been keeping a close eye on the standard variable rates - it has been worrying me for a few months now, so fingers crossed hey )t'
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

My mortgage hasn't dropped off any although I would expect that there'll be an executive somewhere in the bank getting a fat bonus. I might be cynical but I also suspect that any rumoured cut in VAT will mean more profit for the retailers and not a cut in prices for the consumer; I also expect a hike in income tax to pay for this. They’re all vultures getting fat at the expense of the current crisis and misery of those folk at the bottom of the financial food chain.
)de:
Bah Humbug
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Funnily enough I went to see the bank manager today to discuss how best to use some money left to me recently by my mum . He advised paying off the mortgage, even though it is fixed rate for next two years. The penalty is less than the interest!

I`m not too happy about the interest rate drop for savers, as for the first time in my life I have money to invest. Funny how a change in situation brings about a change in opinion.

Still cant decide when to move house, will sit on it for a bit longer I think . . . but then . . .

Never thought I would be this interested in money!
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

If they are going down the lines of not being able to pass it on as they can't afford it and need the money to recuperate etc., I wonder what their reaction would be if we said the same to them about a Loan or Mortgage !

But, they are there to help. Like, when I was in dire straights last winter and the one before, absolutely nothing, just charges coming through the post.

This summer where I actually held my head up reasonably high for a while, the phone never seemed to stop with offers of help and asking at the Counter if I would like 'A Review'.

I cannot even start to say what I think about Banks - for me, mine has been a disgrace, bordering on immoral !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

Mine keep trying to sell me an account I have to pay for, but hey!! it comes with 'extras', that I will never use....
I think I've been a bit blinkered with banks, in the way that I've been with one particular one for years and years..Time to investigate what the rest of them offer I think.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

From my bits of research, Online Banking seems the least expensive.

If you do transfer, all the direct debits go over automatically and some Online Banks and Building Societies actually give you a cash reward for changing!

I say, if you're in a position to, play the game. After all, it's what they do with your money.

I've been with a bank pronounced slightly like Rational Infestingter for about 30 years. As soon as I've cleared a Loan I have in about 3 month's, it's over the hills and into the sunset !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome