Chicken Run Weatherprooofing.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Pam
Learner Laner

Chicken Run Weatherprooofing.

Post by Pam »

Our chicken run has plastic corrugated roofing but during wet and windy weather the rain can still blow in and make the floor muddy. Today I cut the polythene covering from a new double mattress and pinned to fit two panels of the run. As the sheeting is 6'6 x4'6 it has worked brilliantly, and cost nothing. Tommorrow I plan to call into the local bed shop to ask if they have any more ' rubbish ' I could take away. Just thought maybe others might like to use this idea.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Love that Frugal idea, Pam, they must be massive sheets of plastic to cover a mattress, perhaps they could be used for other jobs around the garden as well.
)t'

Ilona
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

very windy here tonight )de: my tarp is going mad i hope its there in the morning

good idea re the plastic )t' )t'

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Pam
Learner Laner

Post by Pam »

Yes they are large sheets and heavy duty plastic which hopefully will stand up to winter gales . I suppose it could be used to make cloches or greenhouse panels.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Sounds a good idea Pam - how did you attach it? I think if you attach it inside it would be less likely to blow off, but would the chooks peck at it?
Pam
Learner Laner

Post by Pam »

Hi kate egg, i used broad headed drawing pins which have held really well through the gales today, and have attached it to the outside of the run. I think youre right, the residents would definately think theyd discovered a new game !!!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I am wondering what I can get to do something like that on our run. When it persists down like it has today the mud is very muddy about a foot or so in all the way around. I think my tarp has held ok so at least the middle will be dry )t'
Pam
Learner Laner

Post by Pam »

Try googling your closest bed store, if its fairly close you could pay a visit and explain what you would like the plastic for. or wait untill a customer comes in and ask them if you could collect from their home after the mattress has been delivered !! then turn up with some eggs! go on..... all things are possible

:)