This Christmas I am not shopping!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
liskeardjane
Lively Laner

This Christmas I am not shopping!

Post by liskeardjane »

I will recycle the decorations, they are fine and so is the old woolies' tree(time to take that to the antique roadshow soon) I bought cards from the charity shop last year, work colleagues will get a homemade cake each (saves all that secret santa nonsense) daughter wants new clothes and needs them anyway. Shall bake the cake and pies myself and family are getting goodies we brought back from France on our hols.....so no need to spend any money and no need to get into debt (which I'm paying off having cut the card up!) that's it christmas sorted!! Other than that....I'm not shopping.
Trying to live a simpler life.
http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Good for you! I have definitely not spent as much as previous years, and am bidding on some fairy lights on eBay cos last year they stopped working. Hoping to get a bargain.

I have spoken to my sister and we have agreed to stick (ish) to a budget. We usually buy the lads clothes too, and they get bits and pieces, books, pants, socks, chocolate. Nothing too mad.
wendy

Post by wendy »

My goodness I have had my tree since about 1992 and the decorations go back years.
My penpal in America has sent me a Christmas decoration every year as a present since 1970. So the tree has not cost us anything for a long time. This year I have my christmas chickens from katt. I only ever give charity cards from Battersea or BHWT.
Every time Spencer goes to the States [each February] he packs towel sets around things he buys. Over the years we have got loads of brand new sets. This year I am giving everyone towlels and face cloths, as I have so many. I havent had to buy any pressie's other than for my children, the Grandchildren only ever want money :?
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
liskeardjane
Lively Laner

Even better!

Post by liskeardjane »

Decided at work not to have a do this year! And not to give cards but to put donations in a pot to buy a loo for Oxfam! this furgality is contatious and costing less by the minute!

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/Hub.aspx?c ... s&ito=3008
Trying to live a simpler life.
http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I didn't do any shopping last year, except for a few cheap and usefull gifts for family. A box of tea bags, a jar of jam, a box of bran flakes, a tube of toothpaste, a packet of biscuits, a bottle of Ribena, a tin of fruit. It raised a few smiles as they were opened.

I wasn't going to bother at all this year but I have bought two small pieces of pottery from a charity shop for £1.60. If I get any more my limit is £1 per person.

Don't buy cards, I have made them, and will use old decorations, that's if I can be bothered.
)t'
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Its lovely to receive a home made card, I have done these in previous years, this year my cards are from PDSA and have a Springer Spaniel on them (just like mine :-D )

Need to get a balance between being frugal and not having any joy. I love to receive a card in the post. I don't send them to people who I haven't seen for a long time, that's silly, but its nice to catch up with family far away.

Just sending middle son up into the loft to get some decorations down as I am feeling like the house needs brightening up )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I do the opposite. I send cards and a letter to people I don't see but want to keep in touch with. Not to people I see regularly.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I meant to people that I haven't seen for donkeys years and am unlikely to see again. (Like people met on holiday in 1995 who sent us a card and we sent one back, I try to stop that!)

I keep in touch with old far flung friends and family with cards and a letter and they mostly do the same. I enjoy reading what has been happening to them this year and hope they enjoy ours. Its also really good to see photos, especially of children growing up :-D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I've just done a couple of Blog pages on this subject - more the wrapping and the cost of energy though.

http://www.downthelane.net/extras

There's a few more bits in the Frugal Christmas pages.

Someone worked it out in a National Paper (forget which one) that the average persons Christmas is paid for by March 22nd I think it is.

Good for you. I am so really anti much to do about Christmas, that I can tend to sound bah humbug. I'm not, just want to return to values.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

A lot of people I know are cutting back this year. Its frightening how many people we know are being made redundant at Christmas. Bad at any time of year, but always seems worse at this time of year.

We too are cutting back drastically, as we will need to start doing essential work on the farmhouse. By essential I mean make it habitable. We do not really splash out in the way of food and drink and parties anyway. But this year, I have saved stamps on my supermarket card, and also spent £40 for 4 weeks at another shop to get £20 off my shopping. Not a problem as my bill is usually over that amount. So along with the loyalty card coupons I have saved through the year, my christmas food bill for us and animals should be covered.

My xmas cards are all from animal charities, and some I bought very cheap from the animal sanctuary xmas fair - 10p each, and they are lovely hand made ones!!! I have cut back on how many I send now, due to the postage. Do not buy a lot of pressies, three nephews and nieces are teenagers and want money anyway, although the two girls will get some make up or other little gift as well .......
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Sadly it is the attitude to cut back on shopping that is responsible for job losses - as fewer people buy, then businesses have to cut back. People don't spend because they have no idea if they will have a job ... it becomes a vicious circle +cry+
wendy

Post by wendy »

Very True, but if the money is short. You are going to hold onto it until things perk up.
Spending is the only way to get us out of this, but most can't afford to do so. A vicious circle indeed.
Wendy

stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I Always shop at The Other Shop teasal! )t' I get my last over £40 this week, so thats a £20 voucher for next!

I think everyone is cutting back this year!

Like wendy says they want us to spend, but there just isnt the money to do it!

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

I send email cards to friends and relatives overseas who don't get a present. I also send a bundle of cards to MIL to hand out to family members who live near her.

Every little helps!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Also as you say, small holder cards, are another thing.
I love to send cards and recieve them.
I ONLY send charity cards and ours are usually from Battersea Dogs and Cats Home. So I know they are not the rip off ones.
It keeps the people who make them in work, it helps the unwanted animals.
I post most of them, which keep the posties busy. Plus most people love to get them and they make the house look festive. I can afford to do this and so I do.
But when the children were small they used to make and colour their own ones. Which kept them busy and again everyone loves cards hand made by children.
Wendy