Roadkill meal

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Roadkill meal

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

I'm really proud of myself - I've just plucked and prepared a roadkill pheasant. My husband hit it on the way home from work(I know there are rules about picking them up, but no witnesses). It was totally OK apart from a broken neck. Broke the skin plucking it, but diced the meat and froze it, and am making stock with the carcass, and there was some for the ferret too. I know not every roadkill pheasant will be ok, but at least it won't be mushed up on the road. It's a meal for free, and had a healthy gut full of grass and stuff. Much better than supermarket meat. )c+
wendy

Post by wendy »

I thought you could take road kill to eat COTH ?.
At least you know it had a lovely life and a quick clean death. More than you can say for battery hens
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
hfbinnie
Lively Laner

Post by hfbinnie »

if you hit a pheasant you are not supposed to take it but the person behind you can....daft one!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Ha ha that certainly is daft.
I suppose it is to stop you deliberately driving at them to have them for dinner !
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
hfbinnie
Lively Laner

Post by hfbinnie »

but they do make themselves an easy target. I am still driving around with a broken door mirror housing (went through MOT ok with it) because of suicide pheasant!
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

Yes, they are a hazzard. I try to avoid them where possible, but they run out of hedgerows when they hear the car approaching! Never picked one up, though. Expected the internal organs to be smashed up.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

LOL - they do seem particularly thick & suicidal on the roads (that and sheep ...) Don't forget to take the feathers out of the front grill of the car, and enjoy your roadkill )t'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I don't think there is anything wrong in eating roadkill. At least that is better than all these people who pay to go shooting and don't even eat the creature they have killed!

Pheasants do appear to have been at the end of the queue when God was giving the brains out - they thought he said trains and missed theirs!!!!
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

We were given a pheasant from a shoot last year, found a good utube video that showed how to prep it - they skinned it so no messy feathers. Youngest was very proud of himself after he and hubs had done it, and it made an interesting change for tea )t'
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Yes, don't bother to pluck, skin, far quicker.
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

I hit a pheasant once. She just flew out in front of me and I couldn't avoid it. I stopped the car a few yards down the road and me and my son searched for ages for it, but there was no sign. She'll have definitely been killed because I was doing about 50mph.
dogcatcher
Longlasting Laner

Post by dogcatcher »

The offence was being in possession of the game but since game licences are no longer required I reckon there is now no offence.
untouchable
Longlasting Laner

Post by untouchable »

hfbinnie wrote:if you hit a pheasant you are not supposed to take it but the person behind you can....daft one!

I thought that was deer, or is it both?
3 kids, 4 dogs, one pony, 3 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits, 1 snake, 5 lovely chooks...I guess you can say I love my animals!