Penny jar

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Penny jar

Post by mellonia »

Hi all

Has anyone used the coin star things in the supermarket, i have seen loads of people standing over them and kerchiinng. They charge you commission. I think its 7p in the pound.

I am going to the bank with mine have got the kids to count and put in proper money bags. All the 5p together and so on, so hoping not to get an evil eyes, won't go on a friday or peak times.

I think i have about £25 in 5p, 10p,1p, 2p.

Its my absolute emergency money, i don't want to take it cos then it will go, might save a bit more, and take us out for tea. Our carvery is a fiver with an icecream sundae, carvery is really nice.

Is anyone else doing well with the pennies

Regards

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

I have always saved my small change, and wait until I have about £30, bag it up, and take it to the bank. They are always nice about all my change, and check it on their machine. I wait with bated breath and some extra change in my hand, but so far, my counting has been good.

I also have a lot of £1 and £2 coins in a jar, the proceeds from my egg sales. Its surprising how fast the money mounts up, and you soon have a tidy sum.
battychick_kike
Legendary Laner

Post by battychick_kike »

I have a penny bottle, one of those water cooler bottles, the top was broken a little and the fella who delivered them and takes away the enpty ones said it was useless like that so I could have it. Been putting all small change and the odd 20p 50p in too.
I counted it up the other week and there was almost £40! I put it all back and will save up some more.
A friend of mine gave me 5 tropical fish 2 weeks ago and he transported them to my house in a giant Nut.....ella jar!!
Heaven knows why its sooooo big! :shock:
Anyway, I am going to put the money from the eggs I sell to friends in there. Will all go towards their feed.
I took a pic of the jar next to a 411g jar of mincemeat!

)t'

Taz

xxxx
[center]Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start.....[/center]

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
battychick_kike
Legendary Laner

Post by battychick_kike »

:?

helps if I post the pic too!!!!

Photobucket

Taz

xxxx
[center]Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start.....[/center]

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

ive just cashed mine we had £30 in it we were going to take it to the bank as the coin machine takes to much,but hubby took it to our local costcutters and they were kind enough to do it for us, it bought a christmas gift for our eldest )t' )t' )t'

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Not now, but when the children were small.
Spencer used to save all his small change every evening. Some times a couple of pence some times 50p. But it usually was the spending money for our holidays.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Mines in a plastic jar. The glass one made too much noise and scared someone may hear and I'd be robbed. It's my life savings !!

I haven't taken mine to the Supermarket for about 10 month's, so it's building up quite well. I'm reckoning on about £20 at present.

Did you read about the Pensioner Lady who, last week, paid an £140 Parking Fine in 1p's and 2p's. She took it to the Council Offices in a Wheelbaroow and dumped it !!! Classic.

A fine way of saving for a rainy day.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

My daughters school do a "copper weigh in" every year to raise money for the school. The children bring in their coppers over a three week period and they are weighed every Friday in assembly. At the end of the three weeks the class who has collected the heaviest amount wins a 'treat' day (non-uniform, extra play time and a swimming session). The school normally raises about £700 a year by doing this :-D
We've just had a note telling us the weigh in starts in February next year and to start collecting. This year they are collecting ALL coins - I think they're hoping we're going to be sending in pound coins instead of coppers! I shall keep on with the coppers - 100 pennies weighs more than 1 one pond coin! :-D
Have also (whilst writing this) worked out that over the 5 years that I have had children at that school, must have donated over £150 to the school during copper weigh in! Hmmm... Maybe it would be cheaper to send them to private school )j;

Lucy x
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Wow that is some huge Nutella jar :shock:

Don't do it now but when we were first married and hubs emptied his change out his trouser pockets each night I would put some in one of those huge whiskey jars, had abuot £50 by that Christmas and he never even noticed :-D

Our local Boys' Brigade does a 'mile of pennies' in the village once a year, this year they raised over £400! Of course its not just pennies, all coins are gratefully receieved.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

One of the dancers at our club started a charity book stall, which she passed on to me (and it has become a book, apples and eggs stall). I send off the donations by cheque so always find myself with a heavy pocketful of silver to use up.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I don't save coins but I used to, in a gigantic whisky bottle, now I just keep tabs on the pennies in my purse, and pay for my shopping with them. A good idea if there are several members in the family when everyone can join in, and get the benefits.

I am not familiar with those machines in supermarkets, are you saying they charge you a fee for counting money??? I am shocked :shock: Why would anyone want to give them any money, what a greedy grabbing idea.

Ilona
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

The machines in supermarkets charge a % which then goes to a nominated charity.I have used them for convenience,the banks sometimes won't accept more than 5 bags of change unless a childrens account.
We save ours in a large whiskey bottle then use it for abit of pocket money when on hols(or send it for school dinner money when i Haven't got to the bank :oops:
Karen
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thanks for explaining, I haven't seen the machines up here in the sticks. Does all the money go to charity? If so, who pays for the machines in the first place, and who pays for them to be emptied, the charities maybe? If that's the case maybe it is a legitimate way of raising funds.

Ilona
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

For years I've saved coppers in a giant bottle, 50p in a dish and 20p,10p.5p in a tin. I empty hubby's pockets most days. When I've got about £30-£50 I take turns in putting it in one of our post office saving account using our village post office. Hubby has got £700+ and doesn't even know it! I never go out with coins under a £1 in my purse and have been saving for years.
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi

I didnt know that the money goes to charity , for the coin counting machines, the coin master machines in son of morris. They take 7p in the pound. I will check next time i am in there if it says anything about charity.

I also have one of those terrimundi pots with no other opening than the slit in the side for the cash, when its full you have to smash it. Its lovely but i have found a way to get the money out, with tweezers, so empty it twice a year, for holidays and christmas, i usually get about £60 in two pound coins. When full they hold 300 to 400 in gold coins. So will start after chrimbo popping the odd one in, for the summer holidays, i am always immesely proud of myself, i am always short of cash, as i love spending. Hopefully this year i will be a bit more prudent.

I read online today that a woman stole 19,000 worth of scratch cards and only won 50quid, that is a complete mugs game. Shocking really, if you were buying them.

Good luck everyone with the pennies, i love this little way of saving. It achievable. I might try different pots for different things.

regards

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye