Penny jar

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

I have seen these machines in a few of the bigger supermarkets, although not in our smaller ones out in the sticks. I noticed it was 7p in the pound they charge, but thought the supermarket was getting the money, so its better if it is a charity.

I have never used these machines, but am I right in thinking it pays out tokens which you take to the customer services? And do they actually give you the cash, or is it a gift card to spend in their store I wonder?
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

This thread has got me thinking about the time you were paid with real money, you always knew exactly where you were. You could see what you had left and couldnt spend if your purse was empty.
Every penny counted then. Couldnt spend what you didnt have.
Pity things had to change as I reckon some people wouldnt be in the financial mess their in today.
I love pennies and get given lots, as people reckon they are too fiddley to bother with. I am always saying look after the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I have two "penny jars" - one in the house and secret one that Owen can't raid in my locker at work.
At home we both put anything under a 50p coin into a demijohn we bought in the boot sale for £1. I dont know how much is in it as the coins are mixed, and Owen takes money out for tha papers/pint of milk etc. all the time.
At the end of most days, I put aside £1 and £2 coins, and stsht hem in my secret piggy bank in my locker. I have just under £200 now )c( and Owen has been contributing too. He is getting £50 next week to put towards a weekend in Liverpool for him and his eldest son, and I'm keeping the rest towards a week int he sun in April or May with my mum.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I put my change, except pound coins, in a mason jar and empty it at Christmas. I dip into it during the year for change to use for machines on nights ( I always say I'll buy my own chocolate, but forget, and at 4 in the morning I usually succumb, so that's one money saving idea for next year, remember to buy chocolate elsewhere and take it in)

I think I've got about £120 which will mostly go to Christmas presents.
With 15 people to get presents for, it comes in handy. Next year, hopefully the gardne will have flourished and they'll all have preserves and jam and veg ;)
to err is human..to moo, bovine...