Out of date food supplier....

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Out of date food supplier....

Post by kate egg »

Not quite what it seems its all long life stuff mainly short dates that the big supermarkets won't stock. They charge £3.50 to deliver up to 28kg to S postcodes (sth Yorks) and £5.25 elsewhere.

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/index.asp

This is the Mail on Sunday article

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/arti ... -date.html

I've had a look but there isn't enough of what I use to make an order worthwhile, but I think it changes regularly so its worth keep checking back )t'
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Just had a look at the food website - it looks to me like those are new lines which have perhaps not sold as well as the manufacturer would like, so are off-loaded.

Many manufacturers run promotions (BOGOFs, half-price, etc) and have to supply the big retailers with the products on a sale or return basis. It's too expensive and awkward to get back part cases and half-pallets, so perhaps this is where all those products end up!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Nice to find someone who delivers to northern Ireland without charging a completely ridiculous rate!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
derra
Lively Laner

Post by derra »

What a site. How I wish they delivered to Southern Ireland. The cost of food is so high here and salaries do not match the cost of living either. Thousands from Dublin etc regularly cross the border into Northern Ireland to shop in Asda or Sainsburys. Alas Im way down south, a good 8 hour drive.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I wouldn't want to order from the site, but I will keep their details handy, just in case I am going south, I can call in. Not too far for you to go Kate, if you are going north.

Ilona
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

derra wrote:What a site. How I wish they delivered to Southern Ireland. The cost of food is so high here and salaries do not match the cost of living either. Thousands from Dublin etc regularly cross the border into Northern Ireland to shop in Asda or Sainsburys. Alas Im way down south, a good 8 hour drive.

Friends of ours in County Meath do the Asda shop in NI about 4 times a year, and now with the exchange rate so good for the euro user it is even better for them )t'
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Meanqueen wrote:I wouldn't want to order from the site, but I will keep their details handy, just in case I am going south, I can call in. Not too far for you to go Kate, if you are going north.

Ilona

I am keeping an eye on it Illona, we quite often are heading that way, so it all depends what stocks they have when we do as to whether its worth a detour....
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Forgot to say, the reason I wouldn't order from the site is that there isn't a great deal of food on there that I would eat. I wouldn't have a big enough order to make it worthwhile, it might be a good idea for a family though. I think you have to buy fresh fruit and veg from the closest shop/market to yourself. Some of it will have already travelled a lot of miles, no point in putting it in a box and sending it on yet another journey, for it to get thrown about in transit.

Ilona