Do you want one of these gadgets?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

I reckon that a microwave will use less power to heat water than a kettle.
I;m not certain though - could be completely wrong. Will check it out and let you know!
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

kate as there are many steamers , i ment i cot a steamer for cooking, the oh got hes to steam tiles in cshower down etc( waste of money and time as i do it all by hand, and much quicker) rest of post went over me foot , as im in pain
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

)ot: Re-read and that makes perfect sense now! What is wrong with your foot? Is that why you are posting at 4.20am as pain stops you sleeping?
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

yep, get max 4 hours sleep a day/night, mortons nuroma , have to have injections into the foot as the nerves are rubbing together , and very painful, so have to wait more tests, so hence to say i am on dtl at very unusual hours :shock:
bookbinder
Lively Laner

Post by bookbinder »

I confess I do have a steam cleaner, its a big Polti (brand name) and it is very good... BUT....I would not dream of getting it out to do the microwave!

I use it to surface clean carpets in heavy wear areas and so whilst it is out I clean EVERYTHING that can be steam cleaned......trust me the hinges on the toilet seat look lovely and clean...uintil you apply steam around them.....Yuk! where does it come from (well I think I know the answer to that) but where does it all hide...it is disgusting.

It is really good for around fridge seals and all those daft places that you just can't find anything small enough to get in them......and it is the one time the windows are clean with no smears...well, at least till the kids come home from school.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Mrs frugal here uses an old erm.........toothbrush for fiddly places. I thought a steam cleaner blasts steam out at a rate of knots, wouldn't that just blast the muck everywhere, confused> like it does when you steam clean a lorry to get it ready for MOT? The blokes doing the job certainly look like they've been down a pit when they've done that job.

Ilona
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I put a bowl of hot water in the microwave with a squeeze of lemon juice and leave it sitting there til it's got everything nice and steamy - Owen's hell for filling the kettle too much so I use the extra water that has already boiled so I dont need to actually turn the microwave on, if you know what I mean.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Ilona steam cleaning is for men, steam cooking for us girls (f+
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

I also wipe out, ushally after jacket potatoes (microwaved 1st then popped in oven to crisp up, less time in oven ?smaller bills??!?)

Sometimes i'll give my dish clothes a balast in microwave too (as an attempt to sterilse them but it normaly a 60 c wash with towels)

I've been thinking of a steamer (for floors/ uphosltery) but will resist for a while, although i've just had my carpets cleaned today and the cost could have bought a large chunck of a steamer!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Bollybarb i got a vax for upholstery and carpets, so no worries there
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

sharon the chauffeur wrote:yep, get max 4 hours sleep a day/night, mortons nuroma , have to have injections into the foot as the nerves are rubbing together , and very painful, so have to wait more tests, so hence to say i am on dtl at very unusual hours :shock:

Just googled that Sharon, sounds pretty awful, constant pain. Hope they can sort something out, the website I found said that if you have an op for it the success rate is 65% have no more pain and 85% significant improvement.
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

kate i feel like ive lost everything, but plod along every day , doing what i can get angry when i cant, burst into tears for no reason, , people stare at me with a walking stick makes me feel ashamed
\
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Oh Sharon, I don't know how you cope, there is nothing worse than being in constant debilitating pain, makes you feel so blooming cranky )ang

Can nothing be done? Is that just Netherlands or UK too?
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

sadly Kate , i had a accident , i fell from a mercedes vito sprinter ,( the big bus that takes people to hospital ) as im a (was) taxi chauffeur
my boss sacked me whilst sick so legal reason and courts applie here.

i have been to hospital they can do no more

doctors give paracetamol , useless, so i live with it so lack of sleep, yes i do get angry but have you all here, and you are all so BRILLIANT especially at my times of unwittyness, but know you all nkow y
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

OMG if that happened here you might still be in pain, but you could probably have claimed all sorts against the bus owner or whatever, and taken your boss to the cleaners - no one can sack someone here for being off work injured :shock: