Do you want one of these gadgets?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Do you want one of these gadgets?

Post by Meanqueen »

Is this a frugal way to clean your kitchen? I found this while looking around, Consumer Queen says this is a great idea. :shock:

cleaning a microwave

What is wrong with getting your wet dishcloth when you have finished washing the pots, and giving the microwave a wipe out?

Ilona
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

How ridiculous!

I DO use steam to clean my microwave when I haven't cleaned it for ages and the food is REALLY dried on ( :oops: :oops: ). But I half fill a mug with water, put in microwave and run at full power for about 7-8 minutes. The dried on stuff just wipes off no problem :-D :-D

Lucy x
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

She has nothing better to do has she!!

She calls herself frugal??

I think not!

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Same as mad chick. I freeze slices of lemon for drinks so I pop a couple of these in the jug if I'm feeling posh!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I didn't think it was frugal, you have to plug it in to heat it up, then you have to wash the towel she uses to wipe it with.

The mug of water thingy, I thought about heating a mug of water up for my coffee, but how much electricity would that use, would it be cheaper than a kettle with just enough for one drink in?

Ilona
Last edited by Meanqueen on 14 Jan 2009, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Dear me - frugal - I think not!

Much better to follow DTL tips from members, I think! )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Gwiz
Learner Laner

Post by Gwiz »

hurrumph! waste of time!
Ditto meanqueen. )t'
Graham.
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

What a lot of effort for a simple job

I wipe it up before it dries in .. or if I don't, I do the mug of water thing
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Meanqueen wrote:The mug of water thingy, I thought about heating a mug of water up for my coffee, but how much electricity would that use, would it be cheaper than a kettle with just enough for one drink in?

Ilona

Its probably not frugal but hubby likes milky coffee, a mug takes 2 mins 30 secs in the microwave (no washing milk pans and its quick).

I think to boil the same amount in a kettle would be quicker BUT I don't know how much it costs to run each appliance?

I usually wipe the inside of mine when I've used it to cook frozen peas or similar and there's lots of steam from it to make it easy to clean )t'
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

snap kate egg, and its so easy, no fuss just a very clean microwave
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

sharon the chauffeur wrote:snap kate egg, and its so easy, no fuss just a very clean microwave

Sharon are you sure you aren't my long lost twin sister? We seem to have some very similar ideas :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I must be a long lost cousin then as i do that too!

I confess I DO have a steamer (well a penguin one) but despite the fact I thought it was a good idea at the time (miracle cleaner, time maximiser etc etc) I don't use it very much.

Hey, it was ages ago and it was a bargain! :oops:
Last edited by p.penn on 13 Jan 2009, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

kate that could well be, hahahaha we like the simpler things in life thats y we got men! hahaha

p pen , hope kates and my soup mwas nice and who knows maybe you are the lost cousin we never found!(robinson crusoe!)
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

hubby has the steam cleaner to clean the (you know what i mean) i got the steamer for foods, i prefer the latter helen more convienient(probably spelt wrong!) but not here for long got foot brace on and yelling, will try to sleep for a little while and no doubt as usual be here before 4am pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff yelling a bit more hahahaha
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

sharon the chauffeur wrote:hubby has the steam cleaner to clean the (you know what i mean) i got the steamer for foods, i prefer the latter helen more convienient(probably spelt wrong!) but not here for long got foot brace on and yelling, will try to sleep for a little while and no doubt as usual be here before 4am pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff yelling a bit more hahahaha

Sharon are you sniffing something or is it me? I cannot make head nor tail of that post confused>