Home made cat food

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Ninja1
Lively Laner

Home made cat food

Post by Ninja1 »

I make this in large batches and freeze it in appropriate portions for my 5 felines :-D
I have to say that they seem very content eating this, not so 'hyper' or naughty, and the best thing is, I know what's gone into it.

re the basic ingredients - it helps if you live near a market i.e. I live in Shropshire so once a month I go to Birmingham's meat market where lots of meat is sold cheaply.

I stock up on chicken, liver, tripe, fish and anything else I think will make a good cat dinner.

Whiz up a large box of cat biccies, (my cat's can't tolerate them whole, but love them like this,) set aside.

Put your basic ingredients in a large pan, add a couple of stock cubes, bring to the boil, simmer until meat is tender.
Allow to cool :!:
Drain, pour stock over blitzed biccies and stir well, then liquidize the chicken, liver or whatever you've cooked in a little more stock and add to the moistened biccies. You'll have to adjust biccie/meat proportions for yourself, I use more meat than biccies.

That's it ! put into containers and freeze whilst fighting off marauding cats.

My feline friends prefer the liver variety, the cheapest I can get

When cooking this, I set some aside, add some onions and garlic a pinch of mixed herbs and have a lovely spreading pate ! I also use some of the chicken and fish as well - goes without saying MQ!
Ninja
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Well done, good idea if you could stomach it, I couldn't, I'd be throwing up. yike*

Ilona
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

I hope you don't put cat biccies in your pate lol.

Sounds like a good idea if i could find out where a cheapo meat market it i would do it. How much would you say it costs per day that will give me a gauge. I have three of the little darlings, i have looked on the back of the tins/pouches and there isnt much meat so yours will probably be really good.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Ninja1
Lively Laner

Post by Ninja1 »

Yes, you're right, there's more meat/fish in the stuff that I make - real meat - not substitute.

I started making my own because it was costing me about £55 a month :shock: :shock: now it's down to about £16, so quite a saving there. Of course I have to pay petrol to get to Birmingham, but I have a brother who lives there and I visit him once a month anyway, so now I combine the two.

When I first started, I made the mistake of buying all the best quality stuff :? the cats loved it though, but have to say that they still love it now I get all the cheaper cuts, still more meat content than the tinned stuff.

I'm due to go again on Monday, I'm going to try some tripe this time as well as the liver. Think I'll leave the fish this time - the smell is a bit much !

oh and no, don't put cat biccies in the pate :-D

Ninja
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I used to always make my own dog food, I found a website that told you what went into pet food and its revolting.

I used to do about 500g dry weight brown rice (stemaed in microwave), 500g minced lamb, tin tomatoes, whatever veg I had to hand and cook it all up. This lasted about 4 or 5 days plus I gave him kibble with it. It probably worked out the same price or slightly cheaper than good quality dog food. But he seemed to lose interest in it so I am now giving him Pedigree better by nature, but I try not to read the labels as it is all animal derivatives whatever that is :shock:

When he was a puppy the pedigree etc puppy food made him even more hyperactive, and as soon as I changed to a better food (Nature Diet and Nutro) he wasa different dog.
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

my cat bit like big ron has taken to salami and olives!no he aint doing the italian job, dont know y , as he has all hes biscuits and 3 pouches a day, he would steal them if he got the chance
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

It is actually quite shocking how little meat there is pet food, the cheaper ones have only 4% i used to buy a brand that had 24% but can no longer afford it so back to the cheaper stuff which i hate having to buy.

Thanks Ninja xx
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

What do you suppose makes up the rest of the food? Try not to imagine???
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

God i dread to think, and it also says 4% animal deriatives, even on the fishy ones. So that could mean anything :shock:
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Ninja1
Lively Laner

Post by Ninja1 »

This is an interesting thread.

From my own experiences and my 5 feline friends, I can say that they just seem so much more 'satisfied' on much less food ! this alone is worth the effort that goes into making it, well it's not that much really is it :) and they're worth it :-D

I'm going to try out some more 'recipes' next month, I've already stocked up with enough meat and biccies to last for the next few weeks, so I'll post the results if anyone's interested
Ninja - Sopi - Leah- Carrot - 'cooking fat' - and Itty (the kitty) xxxx

:-D :-D :-D x
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

Magic would kill us for our fun size salamis, anyone else have this problem?, he will also empty the bin for the wrappers , and loves the olive juice!!!!!!!!if we have eaten olives
Ninja1
Lively Laner

Post by Ninja1 »

Cream (goes without saying) rice pudding, custard, yoghurt, only either plain or strawberry flavour, crisps, cheese, the remains of the stew ! blackberry and apple pie filling (home made of course) fromage fraig (sp??) bacon, toast spread with either marmite or lemon and lime marmalade - really :) curry, sardines, pilchards, tuna, salmon, tea - yes two of mine love tea ! they dip their paws into mugs and love to lick them clean :) the list goes on and on ....
Ninja :-D
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Slightly )ot: but yesterday Grace had a satsuma and shared it with Jessdog...who ate every bit and was looking for more!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Definition of derivative = derived from, that is, the left overs from meat after it has been prepared for human consumption that no-one wants on their plate such as fat, gristle & bone and probably also meat juices boiled out of carcasses etc.

Also, does anyone remember the time when a farmer or some other sold chickens to the supermarkets that were not fit for human consumption and should have been sold as pet food?