replacing old marley tiles

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Mo
Legendary Laner

replacing old marley tiles

Post by Mo »

We laid Marley vinyl tiles in our kitchen 25 years ago, and stored the left-over tiles (might come in handy). Well now they have - or might...
Several tiles have corners missing, and those in front of the sink have worn down to the concrete. But We're not going to replace the whole floor.
Any ideas about what adhesive we need and where to get it from (we can't find the old tin which might give us a clue even if it was dried-up and unusable).
A web search finds Marley roof tiles UK, or floor tile in South Africa, and I doubt if either would tell me what to buy and where to get it in UK. Our first stop - B&Q was unhelpful.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: replacing old marley tiles

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Mo,
Were the old Marley floor tiles vinyl ones?
If so then just search for vinyl floor tile adhesive. They do it at places like W1ckes and screwf1x )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Mo,

Dom's right about checking out Vinyl or not.

If they snap, they're thermoplastic tiles, really good and were stuck down using a black thermoplastic adhesive, bit like tar.
Bitchomastic adhesive would probably work, but check first. Take a tile along with you.

If they bend without breaking (as long as they're not cold), they're Vinyl and finding adhesive shouldn't be a problem.

Didn't tell you I was a Manager of a Marley DIY Shop for 7 years did I. There goes my head again!!

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well some corners have snapped
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Marley used to have a factory just outside Guildford, between the A3100 and the Guildford-Portsmouth railway line.
This one was for concrete building components. I used to go there to service their fork-lift trucks.
A chap I used to know worked there, until a lump of concrete fell on his head, giving him brain damage. He got lots of compensation, but his wife had to leave her job to look after him.
I think this would be the same firm that made the floor tiles, which were fitted in every council house built in the 50's & 60's.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Mo, be very careful when messing with these!!!!

They have ASBESTOS in them and you NEED to make precautions. )t'
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Yes.I was also told that Marley tiles contain Asbestos. We have them thoughout the entire ground floor of the house except the kitchen which we added about 19 years ago.
Our house was built in 1954 and was designated `an ideal home` in 1955. Yes it was very common in the 50s and 60s to use Marley tiles, but because of the asbestos content you have to be very careful how you handle them. I have a feeling that different colours have different asbestos contents. Our are the dark red ones. I`m sure there is somewhere on the internet which would give you more information.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.