Painting/waterproofing Breeze blocks

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Painting/waterproofing Breeze blocks

Post by Trev62 »

A question regarding painting breeze blocks (as they are called in the UK). Can you just paint them with watered down masonry paint to seal them then add a couple of normal coats afterwards or is there a special sealant to coat them with first before painting.

Internet is as conflicting as usual and advice given by the paint shop here just seems to be buy the most expensive they can sell you and it may or may not work to waterproof/seal the bricks! That's Bulgaria for you }hairout{

So any advice/ideas would be welcomed.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
manda

Re: Painting/waterproofing Breeze blocks

Post by manda »

You could water masonry paint or if you can get PVA glue cheap that watered down will do it as well.
Have you got a spray gun? Because that would make things much easier...2-3 coats of paint watered down enough to go through the gun...otherwise they're a pain to paint.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

I have been trying to locate a PVA glue here for years but no-one seems to know what it is, probably it is lost in translation and they use a completely different term.

There is a thing called "grund" here that is meant to seal aerated concrete blocks which is the term used here for breeze blocks. Problem is there are so many variants I am at a lost as to which one to use.

It looks like a journey to the nearest city in the New Year to sort it out, even the thought of heading into civilization fills me with dread. Oh well.............
manda

Post by manda »

Ask about school glue...I wonder if that will ring any bells with them because pretty much that's what gets used in schools.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Thanks for the idea. Still working up the enthusiasm for the trip, civilization and me do not get on these days, must be getting old and cranky!!
manda

Post by manda »

{rofwl} snap ...which is why I work nights and shop on my way home so I have to deal with less people
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Finally finished sorting the breeze blocks today, applied a couple of coats of PVA glue then a couple of masonry paint. Looks tidier but may need to add some "graffiti" to break the solid wall colour up a bit. See how I feel after looking at it for a few days.