Old Cans - anyone made anything ?

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Old Cans - anyone made anything ?

Post by Meanqueen »

Yes the edges are very sharp when you cut an aluminium can, you need to be carefull.
Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Excellent stuff Ilona, I especially like the Candle Holder.

Thanks for posting them.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I don't remember seeing the pole before, you showed us the rest when you made them. Very decorative compared with my utilitarian suggestion!

Just remembered, my father used to make Christmas cakes -sold for extra income when they were trying to pay off a mortgage, then after my mother had taken a part time job and they were better off IAO the missionary society. The church did 'pensioners parcels' at Christmas, and my dad collected tin cans (slightly bigger than standard baked bean tin, more like the steamed pudding ones) to make mini cake tins. He cut off the tin with the kind of tin-opener that leaves a flat lid; used the lid as an extra bottom; cut a hole in the original bottom so that the false bottom, and cake, could be poked out. He'd make the cakes, my mother would ice them with a scroll round the edge and a bit of plastic holly. When I cleared his house I brought home his collection of cake tins and that year Playgroup all made mini Christmas cakes.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thankyou Mo, you have given me a brilliant idea... )t' I usually make a large slab of christmas cake which we cut up and include in christmas parcels for our troups serving in Afghanistan...how much nicer to make individual cakes for them....thankyou again.. {hug} now who do I know who eats beans ?.. :?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think you need to cook them carefully or they can be a bit dry.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Mo wrote:I think you need to cook them carefully or they can be a bit dry.

Yes I will thanks......I also mature my cakes with sherry and brandy after they're cooked to make them really moist.. )t'
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

I'm not that practical but they make excelent targets for air g uns. Just be sure to do it safley away from any animals.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
tom
Learner Laner

Post by tom »

When I was in the USA I made a cantenna to get wireless access the internet, before we got a proper subscription.

Also I have used tin cans in my gravity fed chicken feeders. The feeder is made out of a tall pipe (68mm down pipe) and a feed pan (5 litre plastic paint tin with holes cut in the sides for the hens to get their heads in). The pipe is connected to the pan using an old tomato tin with holes cut in the sides near the bottom for the pellets to come out of. The tin fits snugly over the pipe, secured with a couple of screws, and is screwed on the bottom to fix it to the pan. The whole thing is suspended at the height of the hens' backs. Saves a lot of spillage and keeps the mice out, plus it only needs refilling every 2-3 days.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Tom - could we see some pics please as this sounds great........ )t'
tom
Learner Laner

Post by tom »

Can't see too much from these but hopefully gives an idea...

In the second pic you can just about see one of the holes towards the bottom of the can where the feed comes out. The pan is screwed into the bottom of the can & there is a wedge-shaped bit of wood inside the bottom of the pipe that the screw goes into, that secures the pan and helps the feed spill out of the holes on either side of the wedge.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Tom,

That's very fit for purpose and frugal.

Nice on, Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
manda

Post by manda »

That' s a great idea Tom )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny