My drilling a hole in the wall tip

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Re: My drilling a hole in the wall tip

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

A word of caution re the masking tape, some masking tape is super sticky and can pull wallpaper and even paint off the wall, try and use low tack paper.

Please don't ask me how I know this )sh
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

foghornleghorn2 wrote:A word of caution re the masking tape, some masking tape is super sticky and can pull wallpaper and even paint off the wall, try and use low tack paper.

Please don't ask me how I know this )sh

OOPS
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

Just thinking about using rawl plug jumpers hamering screw holes in masonry walls, done hundreds if not thousands of em, and using fibre rawlplugs, chewing the ends before sticking em in the hole, gore blimey elf and safety or what, bit of a scare about fibre rawlplugs if I remember rightly, my how times have changed!
How did I ever find the time to go to work
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

gromit wrote:Just thinking about using rawl plug jumpers hamering screw holes in masonry walls, done hundreds if not thousands of em, and using fibre rawlplugs, chewing the ends before sticking em in the hole, gore blimey elf and safety or what, bit of a scare about fibre rawlplugs if I remember rightly, my how times have changed!

Is this the tool that you used instead of a drill bit ?

Looks a bit like a pin punch ?

mikey
Lively Laner

Post by mikey »

if you don't have low tack masking tape, you can reduce the stick of the normal stuff by taking a length and sticking it on a piece of glass and pulling it off a few times.
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

foghornleghorn2 wrote:

Thats the one, thump and twist, thump and twist, in common use before the advent of the masonry bit and the percussion drill, the big ones were a real pain in the bum, a right arm ache, no 8 masonry, no problem, half inch or more different game all together.

Taking it a step further in a bit of a different direction i was watching a steam fitter in a film the other day drilling a large hole in a steel firebox using a ratchet hand drill, bet the drill was sharp!
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Hand drills were all they had when the first steam engines were built. Perhaps that's why a few of them exploded, sometimes with fatal consequences. yike*
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
mikey
Lively Laner

Post by mikey »

There was a display of old railway tools at the Mid Hants railway a few years back, they had a track drill that was rachet worked. How long it took to drill though 100 pound to the yard rail was not stated. No wonder so many people were needed to build such lines
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

It was hard graft back then.

Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

gromit wrote:
foghornleghorn2 wrote:

Thats the one, thump and twist, thump and twist, in common use before the advent of the masonry bit and the percussion drill, the big ones were a real pain in the bum, a right arm ache, no 8 masonry, no problem, half inch or more different game all together.

Taking it a step further in a bit of a different direction i was watching a steam fitter in a film the other day drilling a large hole in a steel firebox using a ratchet hand drill, bet the drill was sharp!

Thats the rawlplug Star Drill afaik )t'
josh5357

Post by josh5357 »

I Hated using the rawlplug tool and it was terrible when you had to put a fixing into black brick.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Well I am very lazy and very fortunate to have an attachment in my hoover bag which looks a bit like a horseshoe and its specifically designed so that when the hoover is switched on, you position the attachement just below where you are going to drill the hole and the suction sticks the thing to the wall and catches all the dust. )t' Bit like BB`s method, but only involving one person, should one wish to `faff` about. Less `communal` and more expensive, but does the job. :-D
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

josh5357 wrote:I Hated using the rawlplug tool and it was terrible when you had to put a fixing into black brick.

must admit the arrival of the masonry bit was a ray of sunshine in my life, sad or what, and nowadays with the battery hammer drill, can life get any better : :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am very lucky if I want to hang things up on certain plasterboard walls here - I just get a screwdriver and hammer it in then shove a rawlplug in the hole. It doesn't work on the cement or lathe and plaster walls though.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

p.penn wrote:I am very lucky if I want to hang things up on certain plasterboard walls here - I just get a screwdriver and hammer it in then shove a rawlplug in the hole. It doesn't work on the cement or lathe and plaster walls though.

Dear Lord }hairout{

I don't know why I am surprised really {rofwl} {rofwl}