Ceiling wallpaper help please

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
p.penn

Re: Ceiling wallpaper help please

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

I am waiting for some DIY TV programme to ring me and ask if they can fix them for me!! Ha ha ha. Can you imagine - they could base a whole series on the things that need doing.

Oh yes, and the shed roof needs re-felting. It has a bit of plastic bin liner type stuff on it at the moment and has done for over 2 years now. And it needs a new door as it is so warped, there is a huge gap where the wet gets in.

And the rainwater doesn't go down the gutter as one of the brackets has broken (and I had that fixed at the same time as the bathroom)
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
perchy

Post by perchy »

DIY SOS that's what you need, seriously why don't you apply!!

Start thinking of a sob story, they like those, and some dramatic haunting music :-D
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Patching up the wallpaper is a bit like tidying the deck chairs on the Titanic as it slowly slips under the sea. But whatever gets you through the day I guess.
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

)scare(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

oh Helen {hug} you do seem to be having problems but they sound familiar. My mother had all sorts of problems with her house - she had a new roof (guaranteed for the life time of the roofer), got the back chimney removed, new guttering, replaced flashing etc ... and still there was a permanent damp patch in the living room which stubbornly didn't dry out and seemed to get worse. Turns out the plaster was perished and any dampness (from drying the washing indoors or cooking) would settle on that patch. I wonder if that is similar to your bathroom "leak"?
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

It's a great theory, but in my case, logistically, I doubt it. {hug}

It is a race to see who falls apart first. Me or the house. :-D
Helen xx

Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Did the peeps who did your gutter and bathroom all have guide dogs and/or white sticky things?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

You missed the boat Steve, I asked that on previous page. {rofwl}

Have your gutters been cleaned out PPenn? If they are not cleaned out regularly then the water will go up the eave lines of the roof and down the walls of the house.

Have you tried painting the stains with pva glue by any chance?

That is some movement on your walls too if looking at the picture rail is anything to go by. Did the movement start before the earthquake the other year or has it happened since that?

Sorry lots of questions, but I really am trying to help you. It makes me soooo mad when cowboy roofers/plumbers or anyone for that matter rip people off. It is just not on! {mr.angry}
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Gwen - how is PVA gonna help?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

'If' said brown mark is dry and no longer wet it should help prevent the brown mark from coming (by acting as a sealant which is cheaper than what you buy 'for the job') through the new paint surface but, if if it is still damp it wont, you do have to take off the wallpaper first though and paint onto ceiling.

We have been advising this for years with doing the roofing work, or another way like someone mentioned before is to draw round brown mark to monitor if the stain is getting worse. We have been back on occassions to so called damp patches that were not, if you get my jist. Not saying that PPenn has not still got a leak though.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

)t' Thought you were gonna say it would seal.................... but you didn't :-D
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh did you now. :b(
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well. I have got some adhesive for the paper now, so will try and do that tomorrow.

Everything else I am going to pretent isn't there for now. :-D
Helen xx

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That sounds like a good plan PPenn...............not. {warn}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

OMG Have just caught up with this... I don't know weather to laugh or cry {rofwl} yike*
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway