Water collection and storage

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
demonchilli
Lively Laner

Water collection and storage

Post by demonchilli »

I scrounged a few lengths of green tubing(I beleive its for laying cables in,a different colour tube for different cables...there's some really nice purples and orange ones being used on a motorway extension near me,loads in piles of obvious offcuts waiting to be dumped but no oppurtunity to stop and ask.Well not safely :-D
I split one down the length and with a great struggle managed to open it up and enclose it round my 15mm ply roof and corregated sheets,it fits very snug )t'
An old toilet outlet(well scrubbed :shock: )3 old bins scrubbed out and set on offcuts of an old sleeper and some 4x2,some old downpipe and bends,bit of silicone left over from sealing my shed roof.
I'm not sure if I should refit the lids minus a cutout for the pipes and not attatched to the handles or just cover with chicken wire,any suggestions?

Just in the last 4 days the roof collected almost a full large bin just sat under the gutter :-D :?
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Re: Water collection and storage

Post by roddelmae »

A cover of some kind would be beneficial I think, or you never know what would end up in there. If you are going to retain enough water through your ingenious pipe system, then refit the lids with apetures for the pipes. If you are relying on some of your water harvested directly from above into the containers, then fit a fine netting over them to stop any life form falling in and drowning. It would smell awfully afterwards.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Definitely think you need to cover them for fear of wildlife etc. falling in.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Please put a top on I left the top off my water butt by accident one evening and the next day I found a thrush in it {cry} I will not do it again!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

perchy wrote:Please put a top on I left the top off my water butt by accident one evening and the next day I found a thrush in it {cry} I will not do it again!

I agree please put a top on...
I also found a dead bird in the garden last year - {cry} -it was in a builders bucket that had filled with water.. I now make sure that any container that can fill with water is covered or turned upside down!!
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

I'd never thought of three tier barrels! :?
Hope you don't mind if I crib the idea. )t'
Very true about covers though!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
demonchilli
Lively Laner

Post by demonchilli »

Lids it is,I'll make better use of the chicken wire somewhere else.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Have you made some arrangement for the excess to drain away? One wet week and they'll all be full (just when you don't need the water)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
demonchilli
Lively Laner

Post by demonchilli »

Hi Mo, I'd thought of this a wee bit ages ago. Now you've reminded me I think I'll prepare ready.... I have loads more tube to affix another gutter that can divert before the bins and out onto the road which is a natural stream when it rains...