Pallet Box to Flower Box

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
battychick_kike
Legendary Laner

Pallet Box to Flower Box

Post by battychick_kike »

I got from my old workplace, a 10ft long pallet box. I decided not to dismantle it, but make it in to a flower box (one which maybe the chickens cant trash)

Last weekend, hubbs and I got to work on making it.

I bought some weed suppressor fabric to line it, which only cost about £2 and a few screws that we had lying about.

I dug out the original flower boarder from the left side of the garden, and chose to recycle the boarder edging by screwing it to the front and sides of the flower box.

I could not find a clear picture of the pallet box, so apolagies for the bad quality picture.

I took some decent ones tonight of the finished flower box.

We are really proud of this box. Might not look perfect, but it suits my rugged garden. All I need now is for the grass to grow!

I have planted some summer bulbs in there and have also got some Petunia's, Geraniums and Lobelia to plant once risk of frost has passed.

I salvaged as many of my Daffodils and Hyacinths as possible, but they are looking a bit poorly! Savaged by the chickens!

When I let the girls out, I will put a fence around the box to stop them getting in! Hopefully! :shock:

Taz

xxxx
[center]Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start.....[/center]

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
Dave NE
Lively Laner

Re: Pallet Box to Flower Box

Post by Dave NE »

Hi Taz, just made something the same but smaller. I am growing veg in what used to be an ornamental raised bed but i am having trouble keeping my dog from doing what he knows best, (raising his leg at every vertical surface he can find). Using old pallet wood i made a long box and when placed on the wall it is high enough to stop him from jumping up onto the soil, i have planted 2 types of radish in the box and i will make more to go right atound the bed which will be filled with all sorts of salad stuff and herbs, a double whammy all round, cheers Dave NE
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Taz that is brill well done you )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

If the girls get out they will jump to that hight just to scratch about.
battychick_kike
Legendary Laner

Post by battychick_kike »

Hiya Silky,

I already thought about prevention measure. I got loads of builders netting that I use when sectioning off the garden to keep them away from certain areas, I will use some of it to keep the hens off the box too )t'

I have planted a selection of flowers in to the box. Just hope I got green fingers lol

Taz

xxx
[center]Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start.....[/center]

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk